Author Topic: Finding a replacement heater core frustration  (Read 21732 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Re: Finding a replacement heater core frustration
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2015, 09:10:35 PM »
I wanted to report on the decision I made regarding the heater core.

First off, Danny thank for the tip on the used heater core but I wouldn't feel confident putting a used unit it even if it passed the leak test. You could put it in your car and it could spring it's first leak 10 miles down the road. I wouldn't put a used one in with out re-coring it which I could do with my original if it didn't cost so much. I appreciate you checking into that though.

I had to get away from this problem for a little while. Something that should be so simple was making me nuts. Simple meaning being able to ordering a heater core for your particular car and recieving one that is identical in dimensions to your original with the tubes bent correctly right out of the box.

After comments here and at TC, and dimensions given in the parts catalogs, I could not seem to find a heater core that at least one of the three dimesions was different than my original or that the tubes might have to be repositioned.

So I decided to take a chance with the Vista Pro (Ready Aire) part number 398228. I just ordered it from Summit. It was the only one whose three dimensions were identical to my original.....So we'll see what happens.

By the way, I went to a third radiator shop about re-coring and got the same story that buying a minimun block of core material might put the price over $300........I also had them pressure test my original again. The other shop that tested it would not allow me in the test area. This time, I stood right there and watched and saw the bubbles coming up out of the center of the core area. Defintely bad!

I'll use the advice posted here and see if I can clean up my old heater core to firewall sea. If that doesn't work, I'll try to make one.

Dave

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2015, 11:25:30 PM »
Ok, I get it. I think I am going to keep it and see about having it rebuilt, as mine is leaking and is and always has been bypassed since I have owned the car. D

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2015, 01:38:17 PM »
I recieved the Vista-Pro heater core yesterday......Another disappointment !!!

First off, in their description photo, Summit shows a brass and copper core. I recieved an aluminum core.

Summit's description says the core is 6 3/8 inches tall. It is actually only 6 inches tall........That's not that big of a deal except the opening in the heater box that the core sits in is 6 inches tall so there is no surface for the top and bottom of the core to sit on and seal to.

Summit's description says the core is 2 inches wide. The plates welded to the top and bottom of the core are indeed 2 inches wide but the core material itself is only an inch wide. I don't know if that is good or bad.

The inlet and outlet pipes can be rotated. There is a sticker on the core saying to rotate the pipes into position. This must be what I have seen in ads called "variable pipe positioning." The pipes in their "out of the box" position will not go through the holes in the firewall. Again, I don't know wether rotatable pipes are good or bad. I see it as being two potential spots for a leak.

And lastly, the pipe side hold down clip will not work. The base of these rotatable pipes is larger than a standard pipe and interfere with the clip.

Now I guess I'll have to plan C, D, or wherever I am at right now. I've lost track.

Dave

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2015, 01:49:16 PM »
It looks to me like you can bend the metal plates to make it the proper 6 3/8". They almost look like they were designed for that. Restoring old cars is never simple anymore so you might have to figure out how to make it work. I don't mind the rotate feature on the tubes. Probably O-ringed. Now just figure out how to make the clip work.

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2015, 01:40:59 AM »
Dave,
A couple strips of closed cell rubber will work on the sides. A little work on the corners of the bracket. A good grade of anti freeze formulated for aluminum and your ready to go.
Might take a little longer to warm up the inside on a really cold day but I do not have that problem in Florida.
I really like that core, I bet it is light. I wonder if they have an aluminum core like that for 67 with AC?
Bob

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2015, 01:59:01 AM »
Aluminum heater cores are thinner for the same reason aluminum radiators are thinner...efficiency.  Have a local radiator shop deal with this situation and burp to have your Harrison repaired, or do as Charley says and make the appropriate modifications and modify no matter what one you buy. This was a cake walk when we had a radiator shop attached to the body shop.

MooneyDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2015, 03:16:34 PM »
Cool, I want to replace my heater core while the car is apart, following along.
'67  in progress

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2015, 04:23:27 PM »
Dave has found his correct core and Classic Industries has tweaked their parts finder for 68's to include the correct core. :) http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=334889&page=2
1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator

miket1

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2015, 09:08:33 PM »
I got one at NAPA last week, took my old heater core to compare to theirs, is was identical dimensions, it fit perfect, used my original clips it and they  fit perfect, all Alum., I cannot find anyone that makes anything except Alum.
69 Z28 Burgandy

MooneyDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2015, 03:43:09 AM »
I got one at NAPA last week, took my old heater core to compare to theirs, is was identical dimensions, it fit perfect, used my original clips it and they  fit perfect, all Alum., I cannot find anyone that makes anything except Alum.

What did it run ya?
'67  in progress

miket1

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2015, 01:27:18 PM »
 $30. for the heater core.
69 Z28 Burgandy

MooneyDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2015, 02:38:30 PM »
Nice. Ill have to grab one for my car. Thanks!
'67  in progress

CVKUEBER

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2015, 04:52:13 PM »
GM part number 3016842 now superceded to 19132000       locator shows Kroll Chevrolet  671-646-1886
GM parts-tech. Polar Chevrolet White Bear Lake, Mn

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2015, 05:20:55 PM »
GM part number 3016842 now superceded to 19132000       locator shows Kroll Chevrolet  671-646-1886

Thanks Cory! Any available in the mainland?

Paul

CVKUEBER

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2015, 01:56:30 PM »
No, Sorry. They show 31 on hand.
GM parts-tech. Polar Chevrolet White Bear Lake, Mn