Author Topic: Ignition Problem  (Read 9096 times)

ccmblack

• View Profile
Ignition Problem
« on: November 07, 2006, 02:22:12 AM »
Any help is appreciated!  I took my 69 for a drive today, got home and the car would not turn off.  Electrical is not my specialty.  The only way I could turn off the car was to pull the coil.  Anybody have this happen?  Any ideas on what I can do, (or what the cause is), besides running it down to the local machanic?

CNorton

• View Profile
Re: Ignition Problem
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 01:09:31 PM »
I believe that I'd start with a new ignition switch and see where it goes from there.

GIBSTER

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 08:47:59 PM »
Don't ask me why but once I had put a  wrong voltage regulator on my 67, It would start up and stay running,but when I turned the key off the gen light came on but the engine would not shut off. a new/correct regulator is all that was changed to correct it.   ODD

ccmblack

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 02:38:09 AM »
I was told by a reputable electrician that it could not be the  ignition switch.  If it was the battery would slowly drain over the course of a day - due to the fact that the car would be "on" because of a faulty switch.

CNorton

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 11:11:34 AM »
I must admit that I'm not in the "reputable" category when it comes to trouble shooting electrical issues.  I usually start at the point that seems most likely to me and work outward from there.  Good luck.

c

jmcbeth

• 1st and 5th Gen Camaros
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 02:01:26 PM »
Actually, the ignition switch could be the problem. The ignition switch completes the circuit between the battery and the coil when in the ON position. If not the swtich itself, it's a short between the wires going to the switch and from it, effectively by-passing the switch. In any event, this condition appeared while you were on your last cruise. As indicated in the first reply, I'd start with the ignition switch and work from there. Best of luck!
John
1969 Camaro Z/28 RS
Numbers Matching

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 06:40:57 AM »
If the wiring is stock it almost has to be the switch, unless you have a melting in the wiring harness. If you had to pull the coil wire to stop the engine you definitely have a short that keeps energizing the points. My 2 cents.
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

ccmblack

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 04:32:06 AM »
Thanks guys.  I will have to drop it off on Monday.  I will have him start with the ignition switch and then move from there.  Thanks for all help.