Author Topic: Ship my Car back to MCACN, or drive?  (Read 5663 times)

dannystarr

• View Profile
Ship my Car back to MCACN, or drive?
« on: March 31, 2015, 06:05:43 AM »
SO, I am snowballing ideas with the girlfriend about the MCACN show. I need to do the math and figure out what would be the best way to do this... Rent an SUV and trailer? I actually found a guy that rents enclosed 20 and 22 foot trailers down by Paul in San Jose for $60 and $70 a day. So I need that for 10 days, that's 6 or $700. Then I need to rent something to pull it at $500 a week, which will REALLY be 10 days. And who knows WHAT the mileage charge will be. Even at 22 cents a mile it's almost $1000, and that could be double, as it's probably 40 cents or more. Then gas and food and lodging back there from CA. Then turn around and do the same trip back!

OR, I ship my car back there and fly back and wait for it to arrive. That could be about $3,000 by itself for shipping alone both ways. Then a flight for two. What if the airports close and my car is sitting there. And I miss the show. And by the way, WHERE IS THERE?

Starting to sound like about 5K or more. But I sure would like to be back there for the 2015 show.

Any CRG'er near the show, that I could ship my car to your house? Then you hold it for me in your shop. Then I fly out and drive it to the show. Then we do the same in reverse for the trip home. Is this a possibility? 

Or, leave the car home and fly out to the show and call it good. I really would like to have the car with me.. Danny

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
Re: Ship my Car back to MCACN, or drive?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 06:38:49 AM »
Danny, I'll be glad to drive it to Illinois for you! 8)

Paul

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 12:41:24 PM »
Might try this...

Reliable Carriers

I would like to trailer the L78 to the show in Nov but will have to wait and see how it goes..

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 01:08:31 PM »
I personally would not want to worry about trailering thru possible bad weather. Reliable-Carriers is one of our sponsors and will have at least 25 trucks heading to the show from all over the country. Even if you don't bring your car it is a show that once to have been to one you will not want to miss another. Fly into Ohare and it is 5 minutes from the airport to the Hotel-Convention center. Most big cities have non stops to Ohare. It's like a big car guy family reunion every year.

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 04:13:28 PM »
you can google maps Vermilion Ohio 44089 to the show (distance). push comes to shove ,I have the room in my shop. ( just watch the $350.00 valve stem caps LOL!)
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 06:20:20 PM »
Paul, that is hilarious   ;D ;)
I will check in to Reliable Carriers and get an idea on that.

Ok, I did a map and it's 3 hours and 49 minutes from 44089. I SO appreciate the offer. But with stopping for food and gas I think I would be all freaked out driving it 6 hours... TWICE. And that is at 50 miles an hour. Driving 65MPH you can start to see the gas gauge go down  :(  And again, I sure the hell can't put chains on and drive in the snow. Also this car can't even be washed with a hose, as water goes in the back and front windows like a baby waterfall! Ending up in the front cowl, puddling in the trunk, wiring in dash? I was hoping to be spoiled and find someone a few miles away. Then follow them over to the show in great weather... ha ha   The wipers work SOMETIMES. Sometimes it takes a few seconds for them to swipe. All the weather planets need to align. 

And back to where the car goes when it gets shipped back there? I need to be standing there when the truck pulls up, right? ... Just trying to figure this all out.. Danny

m22mike

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 06:34:10 PM »
I have been to the show every year since it started, not always with a car. For the most part the weather has been cold but dry. Last year sucked, steady rain all evening.
 I would strongly recommend not driving in and out that time of year. Do what charley suggested, Reliable picks up alot of cars from CA and AZ.
Money aside you'll love the show, best in the world.

Mike
X66 L78 M22 4.10 Deluxe Threads, PNT 10/10, Red Hockey stripe

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 06:36:42 PM »
Ok, got the shipping quote... Thinking about it all... Keep the ideas coming. Gotta get back to work... D

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 11:17:56 PM »
You don't need to be there when the truck arrives. They will unload it and park it over to the side. I will be there when the trucks arrive assisting in unloading and can babysit your car off the truck if you want. If anybody has never been but has been thinking about going it really is like no other show. You have never seen so many nice cars in one place indoors. I think we have lined up for this years show 20 Hemi Cuda and Challenger converts. There has never been that many in one place before..

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 11:44:00 PM »
Charley, is it the norm for the trucks to arrive a day or 2 in advance of the weekend?

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 12:28:24 AM »
You don't need to be there when the truck arrives. They will unload it and park it over to the side. I will be there when the trucks arrive assisting in unloading and can babysit your car off the truck if you want. If anybody has never been but has been thinking about going it really is like no other show. You have never seen so many nice cars in one place indoors. I think we have lined up for this years show 20 Hemi Cuda and Challenger converts. There has never been that many in one place before..
I just hope the trucks stay out until the bulk of the cars are removed. With 7 tractor trailers inside the building it causes a huge jam log getting out. :), especially when the weather is not cooperating.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 01:56:54 AM »
Moving everyone in and out is a huge deal to get done. We get it more refined every year. Reliable Trucks will move in on Thursday before the single car trailers. Thursday and Friday are move in days. We are refining getting everyone out on Sunday.