Go to full version

Camaro Research Group Discussion > Originality

69 Z Harmonic Balancer or not ?

(1/3) > >>

69 Zee:
Hey guys,  Looking for answers.  I have a chance to grab up this balancer for peanuts.  Basically the guy was gonna pitch it.  Said it was off a 69 Camaro engine, all he knew.  I also grabbed up a set of flawless #3932418 valve covers for $100.  So now this has me wondering.

The balancer has all the making of an original Z balancer except I can't find the 7708M stamp anywhere..notta  ???   It's 8 inches in diameter and 1-3/4 wide, has the offset timing index mark to the keyway also.  Doesn't look like a repop either.. at least not like all the ones I've seen.

What is it or could it be to and is it worth anything ?  ???

Thanks in advance for opinions

bcmiller:
Does it have ANY numbers stamped on it?

ZLP955:
Should have a casting number on the back (recessed) face.

1968 Z28:
Looks exactly like my 1968 Z28 original balancer.  The offset is exactly the same offset that my balancer has.  The 1969 balancer has a larger offset....see this link for a photo of the difference between the 1969 & 1968 balancer.

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=356.0

My balancer has a date stamp on the front of the outer ring and a couple of letters on the back side of the inner hub...one of the letters is a "C" and the other letter I can't make out due to a hole drilled through it.

69 Zee:
The only numbers I found were these on one of the the inside spokes.  I may be totally wrong but it appears that I'm seeing what looks like "F77 (threaded hole) part of a 0 and a 2.  I have found nothing more.  Again it looks to weathered to be a repro and I've never seen a repro look exactly like this.  Could it be from an early Vette ?

Thanks Jerry G... Yeah the timing mark does look like that of a 67/68.  Was there a stamped number on the front like the 69 (7708M) of any sort ?  and is this worth grabbing or are they pretty common.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page