Author Topic: Tinted Glass versus Car Color Scheme  (Read 3411 times)

ZLP955

• View Profile
Tinted Glass versus Car Color Scheme
« on: March 10, 2015, 09:04:51 AM »
I was talking to a fellow Camaro owner today about my resto, and happened to mention that I am planning to put Soft-Ray tinted glass in the car (mainly due to the harsh Australian sun, to reduce glare). The car originally came with (still has) clear LOF glass throughout, although none of it is suitable for reuse. I have tracked down all original tinted glass with matching 1969 date codes. He raised something that I just hadn't considered before.

My car is Cortez Silver with black stripes and a dark blue (715) interior.

Question: will green Soft-Ray glass look wrong against a silver on blue car?
My buddy seems to think that combination would be terrible. I can't really picture it...... so, what do you guys think?

If it doesn't work, what other color combinations would clash with Soft-Ray?
P.S. I am red-green colorblind, honestly  :-\
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Tinted Glass versus Car Color Scheme
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 10:54:15 AM »
You can barely tell the difference between original green tinted glass and clear glass unless you place them both on a white background next to each other.  Its not going to be all that noticeable once on the car, and there certainly wasn't any color restricition to ordering tinted glass on a Camaro from the factory.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 11:30:53 AM »
Thanks for the response Mark, like I said I never gave it any prior thought that it might clash. Hopefully it won't!
I did a bit of searching and found an older thread over at sYC (yenko.net) which had pictures of another Z28 with the exact same combination (CS exterior, 715 interior, AO1 and even has VE3 and flat hood too), really didn't seem to be an 'off' combination to me, although I do have color vision issues.......
Here's the link to that thread in case anyone's interested: http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/303196/5
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 06:51:31 AM »
I actually thought the repro LOF tinted windshields out there now have a more blue band at the top vs. the original LOF soft ray which was more green, right?
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 11:50:05 AM »
I was talking about the glass itself, rather than the windsheild banding.  My non repro windshield glass has a blue band across the top, not familiar with what color the repro glass uses for banding, or even if the originals were blue or green, its been so long since mine had its original windshield as it was busted when I bought mine back in 83.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11