Author Topic: 1967-1969 Chevrolet Camaro SS Campbell Ad Agency Proposal Mockups for Ads - INFO  (Read 8473 times)

VintageLiterature

• View Profile
Hi,
A poster on the AACA forums recommended that I post here.

I'm hoping to learn more about some items I recently acquired. These are original advertising agency mock-ups / proposals for Chevrolet Camaro SS / Nova SS / Chevelle SS magazine ads. According to the seller I purchased these from, they originate from the Campbell Ewald ad agency, which makes sense as they were Chevrolet's agency during this time. They aren't marked, however, so I'm not certain.

These items are rough mockups - 2 are hand drawn and 2 are 'collages' with cut-out images glued to paper. The cut out images were clearly done by an artist using a fine knife as they are extremely neat and trimmed very professionally. Other than the main slogans, they use lines or lorem ipsum as place holders for text not yet created. I have collected literature for a while now and have never come across anything like these - they're really an incredible view into the behind the scenes creative process at the time.

The four pieces are:

1) 1969 Camaro SS - hand drawn with the slogan "To come close to Corvette, we picked the best sports car brains around - our own'. I've seen this slogan used before but never this type of image.

2) 1968 Camaro - hand drawn with the slogan "The cars you hate to get out of". This one included a very rough concept sketch which describes the figure to be included as "an older sporty (Barry) Goldwater type with a beard and large sunglasses"

3) Collage image with the slogan "Chevrolet Builds them Healthier". Ad was to cover Nova SS350, Camaro SS and Chevelle SS 396. (1967/68?)

4) Collage image with the slogan "Chevrolet Turbo-Jet V8s are what put the soup in super sporting". Covers Camaro SS and Chevelle 396 (1967/68?)

I was hoping that someone here might be able to provide more information about these proposed ads - who created them, where were they intended to run, did these proposals (slogans, designs, images) lead to any actual ad campaigns?

Thanks in advance for any insights or theories!

VintageLiterature

• View Profile
More photos

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
The tagline in the 69 SS ad did get used.
I've never seen any of the others, but that doesn't mean much.
Kurt S
CRG

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
The 'Campbell' fella in the agency must have come up with the 'soup in super sport' line.. .  good thing that one never got used!  :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

VintageLiterature

• View Profile
@69Z28-RS - HAHA! Agreed - definitely not their greatest slogan

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
The 68's pictured were all used in the same angle posed in the 68 Dealer Album.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

cook_dw

• View Profile

2) 1968 Camaro - hand drawn with the slogan "The cars you hate to get out of". This one included a very rough concept sketch which describes the figure to be included as "an older sporty (Barry) Goldwater type with a beard and large sunglasses"

I would love to have a copy of this in a 11x17 to frame up!!

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
Vintage Literature,
That would be me over at the AACA forums. But nobody knows who Lakeholme is in the AACA universe.
Thanks for sharing. There are still some very knowledgeable people who haven't responded yet.
Besides, I knew the Camaro guys would get a kick out of seeing them.
Thanks, again.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Those are typical paste-ups and draft storyboards that ad agency copywriters and creative types gin up and develop every day, in hopes that the client likes them and they ultimately bloom into a production ad or campaign (or, conversely, they hit the wastebasket and never go anywhere). My stepfather was a senior executive on the Pontiac account at McManus, John & Adams in the late 50's - early 60's, and he brought that kind of stuff home all the time from his creative staff to review.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

68camaroz28

• View Profile
Hey, I got one of them so I need to check that out! Great examples and thank you VintageLiterature and Phillip.....
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

VintageLiterature

• View Profile

Very interesting. The cut-outs certainly could have been taken from dealer books - I would imagine those items would have been designed by the same agency.

I would love to have a copy of this in a 11x17 to frame up!!

I wish I had a way of copying this for you! The actual piece measures 13 1/2" by 16 1/2". The image is smaller, but I would keep it on the larger board since there are original pen notes on the back.

Vintage Literature,
That would be me over at the AACA forums. But nobody knows who Lakeholme is in the AACA universe.
Thanks for sharing. There are still some very knowledgeable people who haven't responded yet.
Besides, I knew the Camaro guys would get a kick out of seeing them.
Thanks, again.

Thanks again Phillip! I really appreciate the introduction to this forum

Those are typical paste-ups and draft storyboards that ad agency copywriters and creative types gin up and develop every day, in hopes that the client likes them and they ultimately bloom into a production ad or campaign (or, conversely, they hit the wastebasket and never go anywhere). My stepfather was a senior executive on the Pontiac account at McManus, John & Adams in the late 50's - early 60's, and he brought that kind of stuff home all the time from his creative staff to review.

Wow, it must have been incredible to see that type of material as it was being produced! Do you know if any of those Pontiac (or other) mock-ups have survived? I would imagine thousands of proposals of this type would have been produced to varying degrees of quality over the years, though I haven't been able to find anything similar. I do come across styling / design studio mockups from time to time but very little from the ad agencies.

cook_dw

• View Profile
Any way to scan them as a PDF? Either way great pieces and thank you for sharing!!

dannystarr

• View Profile
Maybe they can be taken down to a Staples or similar place. They can make copies way up to poster size with those giant machines. Because I would like copies of all of this also. Check it out and let us know. I think Staples is in every State, but maybe not... Danny

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Or Office Depot offers similar copying services, at least in my area.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

VintageLiterature

• View Profile
@bcmiller @dannystarr @cook_dw

Wow, I wasn't expecting there to be interest in copies! There is a Fedex copy centre close to me and I can check over the next week or so (I live in Toronto, Canada but we have the same office supply stores here). They tend to be on the pricier side but should have the equipment.

Please let me know which image(s) and sizes you would be interested in. The 1968 and 1969 hand drawn pieces would be easiest to copy - the collages are pretty fragile so I'm a bit worried about transporting them (I can try though if there's interest).

Assuming I can get these scanned at a decent quality, I can offer posters at printing cost (unknown) plus postage from Canada (approx $5-$15 depending on size) and $15 each for my time (Open to discounting 2 or more and postage would be combined). Let me know if this works!

68camaroz28

• View Profile
I'd be interested in this as well but it might be easier to have 8 1/2 X 11 high quality copies made and people could have them blown to the size desired which also makes it much easier and simpler. Just a thought but would love to put these up in the garage.......
Count me in please......
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
OR... provide the high resolution digital images from the scans which would allow local printing and save one mucho shipping costs...
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

VintageLiterature

• View Profile
Hi,
Just wanted to send a quick update - I checked with the Fedex copy store down the street from me and they are unfortunately not able to copy or scan colour posters of this size. I will research other options.

Note that March / April tend to be fairly rainy / windy in Toronto and I don't feel comfortable transporting these in poor weather (they are extremely fragile). It may be a month or so before I have a solution to scan them and will update all with the options once available.

- Mike.