Author Topic: Steering column to firewall seal ???  (Read 3649 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Steering column to firewall seal ???
« on: March 06, 2015, 03:35:16 AM »
I bought a new steering column to firewall seal for my '68. The one that goes between the two piece plate that clamps around the steering column and the firewall. A lot of the repro catalogs don't list this item but I did get one from Rick's. It is the Repops brand.

The three holes in this new seal do not match up with the holes in the two piece plate. The center to center distance between the two holes that are furthest apart differ by 5/8 inch. Before I return this seal I am wondering if there is some logical reason for this that I am not getting......or is it just another bad reproduction part?

If it is a bad part, can anyone recommend a different brand and what company carries it.

Thanks.....Dave

cook_dw

• View Profile
Re: Steering column to firewall seal ???
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 01:33:13 PM »
I would measure the holes in the firewall vs the gasket also.

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 01:55:33 PM »
The dimensions between the welded nuts in the firewall are a perfect match to the holes in the two piece plate.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 05:25:06 PM »
If thats the case then it sounds like someone didnt do their homework when reproducing a gasket..  I would assume since its a dye cut then all of them would be wrong and not just a single incident..  Might check with HBC and see if their dimensions are different.  Just a thought.  It would suck but you could just center the gasket with the column hole and trim out the holes to fit.  I would probably just trim if it were me because in the end no one will see it or know.  But I understand the frustration with inaccurate parts...

http://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/store/product/16478/Camaro-Steering-column-cover-seal-1967-1968/

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 07:11:47 PM »
Hi Dave,
Escapes me who made it but I purchased a kit HBC sells while ordering other stuff some time back and it fit perfect.
See you at Spring Carlisle I assume! :)
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584