Go to full version

Model Specific Discussions > Trans-Am Camaros

1971 FOMOCO Trans Am Prototype Mustang

(1/6) > >>

SMKZ28:
I found this ad in the back of the November/December 2014 edition of Vintage Motorsport: The Journal of Motor Racing History.  Does anyone have any more information on this particular car.  I know about the 1970 "bodies in white" used by Bud Moore during the 1971 series and the one just recently put together and sold at auction but I don't recall ever seeing a picture or reading any information about a factory 1971 bodied Trans Am Mustang. 

The seller states in the ad that this "Mustang is 1 of 1.  Construction began at R&D department for 1971 team.  The car was orphaned when Ford dropped all racing in the Fall of 1970.  Later acquired by engineer and raced for 11 years."

Thanks

69Z28-RS:
That would be a good 'ford' to follow up on with the seller...  find out what documentation he has, get copies of it, etc...?

BULLITT65:
I agree you would think someone that worked at ford could provide a ton of legit docs to prove it.

ta22:
The car is legit.  It is pretty well known among the Ford community.  It is actually 1 of 2 Kar Kraft cars built to be campaigned by Bud Moore in 1971.  The cars were never fully completed or raced by Ford or Bud Moore.  This car was purchased in the mid 70s by Ed Hinchcliff, a Ford engineer.  It was raced from approximately 1976 to 1981 in both the SCCA Trans Am and IMSA GTO.  It ran with a 351 Cleveland Bud Moore type engine.

The car has been owned for many years by an Illinois collector (the VM ad was listed by this individual) of vintage Trans Am cars -- among the cars he previously owned were the #77 1070 Challenger and the #6 1971 Championship Javelin.  This car has been marketed for near 20 years-- at a very high price.  $200K plus. 

The second car was purchased and raced by Warren Tope (his father was a Ford VP).  It also raced in the mid 70s in both the Trans Am and IMSA GTO.  After Tope's untimely death in a street race in Pontiac MI in a McLaren Can Am car, the second car was purchased by Bill Maier and raced side by side with its sister car in again, both the Trans Am and IMSA.  Hinchliff and Maier are good friends.

The Tope/Maier car was purchased in the 80s by a Southern California Ford collector and has not see the light of day since......at least publically.

Attached are period photos as run by Hinchliff and Maier

1109RWHP:
I have never heard of this story either but I have seen the pictures you posted before. I just thought they were independent cars. I never could picture a 71 mustang as a good road racer.

I found this video of the race Warren was killed at. Looks like there were plenty of things to hit along side the course.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx1v_dUoPYA

Read the comments below the video.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page