Author Topic: What starting letter should my Plates have?  (Read 19771 times)

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: What starting letter should my Plates have?
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2015, 05:16:51 PM »

I did get the NCRS info and if you recall it says GM Overseas Division, Dealer Code 1 Zone 21, possibly the Netherlands. That's why I wonder if this car was registered in the US when new. Or if a serviceman may have had it shipped.

That GM Overseas code was normally used when a serviceman stationed overseas ordered a new car through the PX system to be delivered by a stateside dealer when he got back to the U.S. - although the car never left the country, the order procedure from the PX's was handled by the GMODC (GM Overseas Distribution Corporation), as it was placed overseas.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2015, 10:55:24 PM »
Thanx for that info Johnman..
  SO let me ask ya this, any records available from this over seas distribution place still exist? If so, where would they be? What could I possibly do to find the original owner?.. Danny

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2015, 03:42:13 PM »
Thanx for that info Johnman..
  SO let me ask ya this, any records available from this over seas distribution place still exist? If so, where would they be? What could I possibly do to find the original owner?.. Danny

Nope. Those Overseas records (and that GM Division) have been gone for decades.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2015, 06:06:03 PM »
Of Course they have  :(  .. D

VINCE Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2015, 03:34:33 PM »
 Danny in the book "The Great Camaro" O.J. Simpson's 69 camaro has black plates with  XRK 691  on them ( page 51 )
" He who knows naught, knows not that he knows naught"  It's not you...  It's just the way my brain is wired.

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2015, 03:46:08 PM »
Danny in the book "The Great Camaro" O.J. Simpson's 69 camaro has black plates with  XRK 691  on them ( page 51 )

If the plates don't fit, you must acquit!  :D

Paul

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2015, 11:32:15 PM »
That's hilarious. Funny how more than one of the people who got O.J. aquited have passed away. Wonder why?... D

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2015, 11:40:05 PM »
SO... Just got off the phone with the CA DMV Special Division. They told me that I can't assign those plates to my car cause they were registered in another State at one time. Which is Utah, where we got the car. And that the system won't let them open TWO files on the same car. They can't create another file. Once it leaves the state your screwed. Funny how I always get these bizarre type situations that nobody has ever heard of. If you want the wrong food at the restaurant, go with me  ;D  There is one more chance to make it happen. I have to print out form #352 for "year of plate" license plate application. Good Times for all... NOT!!.. Danny

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2015, 04:36:46 AM »
I believe that is the YOM (year of manufacture) form.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2015, 07:32:16 AM »
Yes, I think you are right. I was trying to write a bunch of notes whilst she was telling me the info... So anyway, we will see what happens. I guess it's worth a try.. D

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2015, 07:48:04 AM »
Where there's a will there is a way...

Keep on it. I would keep the sacramento phone number handy. In my experience they are the gate keepers, when you run into trouble. I have had them help me out in a few situations. They can weave you through the system to get to the pot of gold.
It does take some leg work to get what you want with a state run agency though.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2015, 04:20:22 PM »

Photo attached...

Paul

Hans L

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2015, 09:35:36 PM »
SO... Just got off the phone with the CA DMV Special Division. They told me that I can't assign those plates to my car cause they were registered in another State at one time. Which is Utah, where we got the car. And that the system won't let them open TWO files on the same car. They can't create another file. Once it leaves the state your screwed. Funny how I always get these bizarre type situations that nobody has ever heard of. If you want the wrong food at the restaurant, go with me  ;D  There is one more chance to make it happen. I have to print out form #352 for "year of plate" license plate application. Good Times for all... NOT!!.. Danny

Not sure I understand - how were CA plates registered in Utah?    Wouldn't Utah have issued Utah plates and now that your car is back in CA, you want to re-use the original plates issued back in '69 in CA on your car?   Why does the DMV say you can't do that?  Sorry - I probably missed something and a little confused. 
https://www.instagram.com/69camarorsz28/
'69 Camaro RS Z/28 Van Nuys Built
'69 Chevelle SS 396 4 Speed

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2015, 03:58:30 AM »
No problem, you are not confused... I am  ;D  First owner unknown. The car was bought in '69 by second owner. He drove it until '86 then parked it in a garage in pebble beach, where it sat for many years. Then he sold it to a guy, who then sold it to his friend in Utah cause he needed the cash. That guy sat on it for what he says 2 or 3 years, then listed it for sale. It got shipped to Utah but he never put it in his name. SO , I said I won't buy a car without a title/pink slip, so you need to get it in your name. So in Utah it's just a quick job and it's done. They don't need to SEE the car, check the VIN's, basically you tell them the scoop and it's in your name in a few days. They sent him the pink, he called me and told me he had it in hand. I think he said he wasn't going to drive it. So it didn't need to have Utah plates issued. We bought it, shipped it to CA and here we are. I COULD have bought it without any paper, and become the 2nd owner, on paper. But it wasn't that important to me. I have not down loaded the forms yet. But will update if it happens and goes thru... Danny