Author Topic: What starting letter should my Plates have?  (Read 19763 times)

BULLITT65

• View Profile
Re: What starting letter should my Plates have?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 05:49:06 AM »
I'll take a stab at it...

He could have taken the plates off with the intent of using them on another vehicle. Ok so he passes away. This right then could pass to a benefactor to use them, since he has still not released his interest in them.

However since I have bought 4 or so cars with black and yellow plates, the easiest way to keep the plates, is that if the car was currently registered, or within the last couple of years registered to those black plates, and they show in the DMV system, or on the title having been registered to that specific car.

I have the black and yellow plates on 3 vehicles and this was pretty much how I retained them.

for what its worth...
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2015, 07:17:34 PM »
Sorry, I don't have the VIN or build date...

Paul

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2015, 10:49:41 PM »
If they are not registered, then he would he not forfeit the right to use them?
Kurt S
CRG

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2015, 11:51:34 PM »
In the DMV perspective they could have been stolen, or taken without permission. There are extra steps involved, California has an incessant need for paperwork, to keep employing the millions (maybe thousands) of state employees. This is all done under the guise of protecting us from fraud, and each document you need from them to process is an additional fee. So the more barriers they put up the processing they do, the more money they can charge you.

Also the DMV is a lot like the unemotional IRS. They do not care if the plates came on your car. They don't care that you are trying to preserve history.

Probably a longer answer than needed but you get the idea.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 06:12:16 PM by KurtS »

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2015, 02:39:15 AM »
Careful, any posts that get too political will be removed.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2015, 05:37:12 PM »
Careful, any posts that get too political will be removed.

Please shut this down before it goes further.  If I wanted to read about politics I wouldn't come to Camaros.org

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2015, 05:40:48 PM »
well back to the plates, Danny did you get paperwork with the car that show it was registered to those plates at one time?

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2015, 06:15:06 PM »
Guys,
What part of keep the politics off the forum was not clear? (rhetorical - please don't respond!)
I cleaned up the posts instead of shutting down the thread, but I shouldn't have to do that.
Kurt S
CRG

BSMIT59

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2015, 06:54:53 PM »
Again,  thank you Kurt
Barry     Old guy but still learning.....
Unrestored 67 barn find
67 SS 350 in process  ( in paint booth now)
Looking for 7N243673 to reunite V0320MO block and crank

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2015, 07:17:32 PM »
Get a plate release form and have the dead guy sign it. Or their records might still have him as owning the car ? Get a bill of sale from him.

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2015, 07:47:53 PM »
Sorry everyone.. Sore subject for me with lots of negative history, it is too easy.. Accept my apology, never would want to jeopardize my stay here on this great site, or overly offend anyone!!
 I thought of having the DMV try to make contact and request a release of the plates.
I have ALOT of paperwork in my system at home. I have posted a few things on my initial post about the car. Change of ownership etc. I am in Pacific Grove/Monterey/Pebble Beach for a few days on the girlfriends laptop. Coming home Friday. Celebrating TODAY as the one year mark of my Surgery! I will try to post a bunch of the stuff and yawl can see if it's relative...D   

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2015, 10:00:17 PM »
Ok, back in town and here it is... This is the earliest piece of dated info I have with Richard Ward Anderson showing the "YKZ 821" Plate info. Look in the upper left corner of the tag. What is N/R & SA or GA, what is that? Not registered ? It actually says "Last License No."...  Is that HIS last license number? Danny

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2015, 10:09:50 PM »
My guess at this point would be Not Registered (meaning not currently registered in CA) - previously registered in Georiga? 

Did your run the NCRS docs on this car to see the original selling dealer?  Sorry, maybe you already posted that and I missed it.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

hubleyman

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2015, 05:25:28 AM »
Hello Danny,
As others have stated, the plate numbers really depend on when a car was first sold or transferred into the state and not so much on when it was built.

Here's my two cents worth of black plate info and maybe a suggestion or two....

Even though the Y series plates that you have were once assigned to your car, in my recent experience it's been difficult to get DMV to work with plates that are not "clear".  It would be cool if you can them reassigned to your car, but it may be more of a challenge than you wish to deal with.

I've probably had at least 30 original local Bay area 1968 cars with W series black plates, but only a few with the X series.  There is one local 68 RS Z that was special ordered by a guy in San Rafael (through a Point Reyes dealer - Cheda Chevrolet) that was built a little later than yours and has plates with "WNA" series.  I would use that as a high letter target when choosing a set of plates if you go that direction.

It might be easier for you to get a set of clear W series plates and have then assigned to your car.  I may even have an extra set you can use...  If you do. you might also get less grief from the local "experts" who see your car with the Y series plates and tell you they are wrong (like I get on my 67 Corvette which has Y series plates).

I could probably give you some more accurate letter series suggestions based on some of my old cars, but my records are at home and I'm currently in Korea.  I'll chat with you when I get back.
BTW - any progress on your distributor?  I may need mine back some time in the next couple of months so I can get that Z fired up and dialed in.
Talk to you soon, Charlie

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2015, 07:10:34 AM »
Bryon,
 I did get the NCRS info and if you recall it says GM Overseas Division, Dealer Code 1 Zone 21, possibly the Netherlands. That's why I wonder if this car was registered in the US when new. Or if a serviceman may have had it shipped. Then when the second owner purchased it in April of '69... he got the California YKZ plates cause that's what was in the loop at the time. So these may be the only CA plates this car has had??

Charlie,
 Sorry you had to go to Korea, I remember we talked about that. I will get more aggressive with the Distributor & Coil issue. Contact me when ya get back home... D

anything