Author Topic: Stinger Hood for my 68 in Australia  (Read 14010 times)

Ue

• View Profile
Stinger Hood for my 68 in Australia
« on: February 03, 2015, 09:03:45 AM »
Hi Guys,

Who can recommend a high quality Stinger Hood for my '68?

Please tell me why you recommend one particular brand and for the Aussie CRG guys & gals, let me know who to import it from.

Also, has anyone cut out the opening at the front rather than rely on the cool air induction from the back of the hood? Those ducts are screaming "cut me free!" I reckon.

We don't see many with Stinger hoods down under so I'm wanting to be a bit different.
Cheers,
Ue.

BULLITT65

• View Profile
Re: Stinger Hood for my 68 in Australia
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 03:30:53 PM »
I always heard growing up that Cheverolet motors didn't like forced air induction. That is why they drew in the cool air from the base of the windshield. Ford motors responded well with the forced air though. Such as the early galaxy, and falcon thunderbolt cars.
Someone may have run a chevy with forced air and had good luck with it.

Now speaking of hoods, while everyone opts to run the 69 "cowl hood" on any first ten, another cool looking hood for a 67 or 68 is the DANA Chevrolet hood. I know there is a guy remaking them from a original hood or the original mold, you just have to look him up. I can look for a pic of the hood, if you aren't familiar with it.
I am not familiar with a good supplier for the stinger hood, sorry.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 03:48:59 PM »
I think it is just different approaches to the same issue; both approaches are drawing 'higher pressure air', but I'm hypothesizing that the base of the windshield, the higher pressure will be more consistent/stable than the direct forced air??  I've never measured, tested, or studied that.. it's just a gut feel.  

Maybe the direct forced air is why Fords 'blow up' more often than Chevys???  :)

PS>   After posting the above, I did a quickie search and found someone who had made some measurements comparing 'ram air' vs cowl induction (using an MGB test bed at up to 70 mph).  His testing at higher altitude Colorado showed the ram air to provide approximately 50% more 'boost' in pressure than the cowl induction, but of course that would vary depending on the car body shape, windshield angle, etc...
http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/MGB-Cold-Air-Induction.htm
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 05:25:26 PM »

Also, has anyone cut out the opening at the front rather than rely on the cool air induction from the back of the hood? Those ducts are screaming "cut me free!" I reckon.

There is zero "ram air" effect below 100mph from a front-opening scoop, as it's in the boundary layer of airflow; that's why the Harwood front-opening scoops on Pro Stock cars are elevated 12" above the hood surface, to get them clear of the nearly-static boundary layer.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 03:45:41 AM »

When it comes to Camaros, everything has been tried.
Sometimes disatrous results!
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

Ue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 05:22:30 AM »
Hahaha, I meant the faux opening at the front of the stinger style hood cowl.
Cheers,
Ue.

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 12:16:50 PM »
Search for a thread title "stinger hood" by: sdkar
He put a stinger on a 69, and was happy with the hood & results
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 06:56:17 PM »
I put a steel stinger hood on my 69 and it fit pretty well.  The only issue I had was the "Scoop" area that would normally have an intake vent, did not have proper corners.  The metal curved in the bottom corners, as stamping the steel would not allow for a perfect squared out corner.  This is where fiberglass can achieve these result that stamped steel cannot.