Author Topic: Is there a difference between a factory posi and dealer installed posi for 1969?  (Read 2546 times)

sdkar

• View Profile
If I opened the differential cover, would there be a noticeable difference?  If so, can someone post a pic showing this.  If it was a dealer installed posi, which is what I am pretty sure I have, what "brand" would it be?  (dana, eaton, etc.).  What did GM give you over the parts counter for this upgrade?  Any other info that would be helpful in this would be great. 

I currently have an original PG rear in my 69, but with a posi in it.  I have what also looks to a lightly tapped "D" under and offset from the axle stamping, and wondering if that means anything, or might just be a dink on the tube that looks kinda sorta like a stamping.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
What is it coded for?   The code will tell you if it were a positraction from the factory.   if it were an Eaton it would have the 'E'... not sure what the 'D' means, but a check on CRG data should identify it
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

sdkar

• View Profile
My Camaro rear axle ID code shows it to be a non-posi.  However, my unit has positraction installed.  It is the factory numbers matching rear end, so I am sure that a positraction was added.  My question is, was a dealer installed posi unit the same as a factory or was it different?  What type of unit did GM sell over the counter and/or who was the manufacturer(s)?

ZLP955

• View Profile
Posi manufacturer codes (per CRG Drivetrain section) were:
D = Dana
E = Eaton
W = Warner

What's the casting number and date of the rear center? 'PG' was used as a rear axle code in all 3 years, open in 69 but posi in both 67 (10 bolt) and 68 (12 bolt). Could be from an earlier model?
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

anything