Author Topic: 1 st. Camaro found and restored  (Read 9344 times)

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
1 st. Camaro found and restored
« on: February 24, 2015, 08:42:56 AM »
Maybe this has been posted before.  If it has, sorry, I have not seen it before, at least not in this entirety.  And some of you may have never seen it.
http://www.camaronews.com/camaro-videos/first-camaro-ever-built-n100001-found-and-restored/
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 09:30:04 AM by MyRed67 »
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
Re: 1 st. Camaro found and restored
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 04:01:35 PM »
I have not, thanks for posting.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

Jonz68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 05:45:35 PM »
Awesome, thank you for posting!
1968 Camaro - #'s matching 327 block / Sportsman II 2.02 Heads / Crane Cam & R-Rockers / Edelbrock Performer intake / Edelbrock 650 DP / Hedman coated FL headers / 3" stainless exhaust / Flowmasters / 3.73 posi / 4-wheel disc / Modified TH350.

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 06:22:30 PM »
I recall that car being discussed here and on the TC site, discussion got heated as to it's value at the time, etc.  I think it was found in OK.  

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=5199.0

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=155777&highlight=N100001

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 11:20:08 PM »
Don't know if any of you watch Mississippi Men on the History channel, Ike Hastings the captain and builder of the Paddle boat on there was my High School Art teacher.  He had a Granada Gold Camaro like this, was the first one in our area.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 02:57:38 AM »
Very cool !  Speaking of Granada Gold.. I currently work for a city in south Florida (Miami area) for the last 17 yrs.  In my zone we have a gentleman that owns a 67 Granada Gold 6 cylinder.  He bought new somewhere in Ky.  I've never ever seen it out of his garage (always has his garage door up) and all you see is the rear end of the car.   He's told me to stop in anytime I want.  Now I'm curious as to the cowl tag and VIN, I didn't want to spooked the fellow with many questions the first time I stopped in.   About time I go back for pics.
Darrell
'69 Camaro Z/28: 03B NOR X77 Dusk Blue, white top, all orig, Under construction
'69 Firebird all original 350 all power w/ac
'70 Plymouth Superbird: One owner, Limelight green, 45K miles, all original U code

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2015, 07:23:14 PM »
I found it interesting that the opening shot in the video is the Van Nuys Paint Shop, not the Norwood Paint Shop.  ;D
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2015, 07:56:53 PM »
Forget the fact that none of them ever saw the inside of the main Norwood (or LA) assembly buildings, everything was handled in the pilot assembly building in the back corner of the plant near the railroad spur lines that delivered parts to Norwood.  If you look at the picture of the Norwood Facility, its just outside the picture frame in the lower left corner, next to the 3 story office building.   Don't know where the LA ones were finished, may even have been finished at Norwood and then delivered to LA).
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 07:39:21 PM »
 I understand that the front half sheet metal was sprayed body color at Chevy and the main body at Fisher, but in the B&W picture posted (http://www.camaronews.com/camaro-videos/first-camaro-ever-built-n100001-found-and-restored/) of the guy spraying the main body, I see what looks like a jig holding the front end sheet metal. Is that was it looked like (the jig) for the normal production front end spraying at Chevy's side of the wall?

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 07:53:55 PM »
Its normal practice to have them together at a GMAD plant like LA and Lordstown where the assembly process was combined into one long assembly line with a single paint and trim shop, but not in Norwood which had separate Fisher and Chevrolet Assembly plants on the same site.  The jig that the fenders are attached to is probably pretty similar to the Chevrolet side equipment.  I can't see where the hood and the upper and lower valances are from that picture though.  Take a look at the third car back in the video where they are spraying the Camaro, its a 4 door sedan,  Unless they were making 4 door Camaros at Norwood in 67 thats not the Norwood paint line (besides Norwood Used a Towveyor system to send the cars thru the paint line, they didn't hang them from an overhead conveyor system, LA and Lordstown did that.  I can get a screen capture from the video and show the car in question if need be. Of course the pilot car site never said it was Norwood we are just suppossed to see a Camaro being painted and believe it is somehow related to the pilot cars.  I don't know what the Plant 21 paint line where the pilot tubs were built looked like, but it seem like that picture would be more of a full blown assembly plant line, not a limited production facility, and you would think they would only be working on one line of car bodies at a time there.    Some people will try to say that this is a picture from the 66 production line at Norwood, but its a known fact that Detroit Plant 21 provided FULLY PAINTED AND FITTED OUT TUBS (finished exactly as if Fisher Norwood would have done if they built them on the line) to Chevrolet, so this picture cant be of the pilto cars being fitted into the assenbly line at Norwood (or LA or anywhere else) becasue they were already finished as far a Fisher was concerned when they were delivered. So, if this picture is not Plant 21, and not the LA paint line, then its Lordtown and thats not even a Camaro being painted, its a Firebird, but the picture is definately not taken at Norwood in either 66 or 67.

But I guess , does it really matter, the guy is showing some assembly plant pictures with a Camaro in it, so i guess whether its the correct plant or not only matters to freaks like us that want to know the name of the guy that tightened the lug nuts on the cars we now own, not to the 99.99999999% of the rest of the world that can imagine what it takes to get all those little parts together at the right time to assemble 1000 cars a day, every day and have most of them actually get built correctly, day in and day out..
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 12:19:07 AM by KurtS »
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

FortLangleyBC

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 04:10:19 PM »
What a great story - very cool car!
1969 Trans Am 400 335 WQ Cameo White

67conv6cyl

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 11:52:03 PM »
I did notice in the pictures of the car before it was restored that it had the vent louvers in the door jambs  I thought that I read  the quarter panels were original to the car before it was restored.

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 01:05:45 AM »
That would not be the correct rear door opening design for an early production 67 Camaro (unless they placed the vent there in the pilots and didn't bring them back till 68 production).  Early (or any) 67s don't have the astro vent louvers in the door frames, they had a solid faced panel with a telephone handset (for those old enough to remember dial phones) shape stamped into it.  Maybe the opening was cut into it by who ever converted it to a drag car, because later on in the video there's a picture of the passenger side quarter panel with the correct indentations?

Everyone seen this document about building the Pilots?

Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 12:18:11 AM »
Mark had originally posted a GM picture from a youtube video about this car on March 4.
Phil Borris threatened a lawsuit for posting said picture, stating copyright violation. Mark removed it, but I questioned Phil's copyright claim.
I confirmed with my contact at GM Media Archives that GM still holds the copyright to all their pictures and that the usage agreement states this.
Furthermore, we have copyright permission from GM to use Camaro-related images on this site. I reinserted the picture in Mark's post.

Phil also threatened to sue CRG when he was banned from the CRG forum - not sure what the claims would be.

Phil, Please don't call me again under any circumstance.
Kurt S
CRG

anything