CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 31, 2014, 04:15:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
105859 Posts in 12353 Topics by 4762 Members
Latest Member: HarryQ
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Camaro Research Group Discussion
| |-+  Maintenance
| | |-+  Heater Core
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Heater Core  (Read 3329 times)
chevysscamaro68

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2006, 11:16:45 AM »

I'm changing my heater core, and it is a PITA, I loosened the 5 nuts off engine side box, took glove box out, and have gotten the inner box out , and I have the old core out. Now I am waiting for seals to come in the mail. But here is my problem, I ordered my heater core from O'reilly's and it is exactly 1/2 inch thicker than the original. And the tubes seem to be bent differently. I have a non A/C car. I tried to get the new core thru the holes , just to see if I could, and I did not succeed, I think I could If I had another person on the engine side, but the box on that side is very hard to pry out .
Has anyone had one that was 1/2 inch thicker than original? I have read other posts and seems that aftermarkets are thinner than original. Wondering if I have the correct one or not?Huh

« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 07:34:16 PM by chevysscamaro68 » Logged
hotrod68

almost finished

rusticman48@aol
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 12:01:17 AM »

How in the world did you get the old one out without loosening the fender and fenderwell? You must be one heckuva a wrench! I tip my hat.

HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior
rich69rs

LF7/M35/Z22/Z87

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 06:00:29 PM »

When I changed mine a couple of years ago I went with a repro unit from Year One.  It was a very good reproduction, fit well, no problems.  Probably the same from supplier to all of the aftermarket suppliers.

Richard

Richard Thomas
1969 RS
GIBSTER

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 12:16:21 PM »

Checker auto, auto zone, pepboys all had the wrong one listed in their books,  got the correct one at napa
firstgenaddict

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 10:06:11 AM »

I replaced one about a 3 months ago with out loosening the fender or inner fender as well.
It was a PITA but then again so would have taking loose the fender.

Inside was the bigger PITA!!!

James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"

Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://picasaweb.google.com/112392262205377424364/1969_Z28_Restoration
chevysscamaro68

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 02:33:02 PM »

ordered a 69 heater core, it was correct, minor adjustments to the pipes and in she went.
Thanks everyone.
cib12

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 06:53:24 PM »

if the tubes are good in your orginial heater core, a good radiator shop can recore it and use your old end caps- a new heater core-they pressure check it after repair
mvara71

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 10:16:58 PM »

I know this is an old add but I would like to put my input if I can, I just did my heater core, I bought all the parts from Napa Auto parts, my heater was not working properly and I was debating if I wanted to do the work `cause unlike you guys I had to take the hood and the fender out . It took me at least ten hours to do the job by myself , me been anal, it turn out to be that there was a mouse nest, it really look like someone blew a pillow inside the core unit they got in throu the heater fan, My advise is while you are there replace the heater fan and also put chicken wire around the fan hole so those little basters don`t get in there again. I am glad I did it my heater works the best and it does`nt smell like pee.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: