Author Topic: New Reproduction Pilkington windshields  (Read 101 times)

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
New Reproduction Pilkington windshields
« on: May 27, 2015, 12:39:47 AM »
I've got an open order in for a new reproduction Pilkington windshield, to replace my existing tinted/shaded PPG WS dated 69 (but thought to be an early replacement - and with a wiper scratch/scrub mark).  I have it on 'hold' to confirm the details to be as accurate a reproduction for my late '69 car as possible.  My original glass is all tinted SoftRay (except for the PPG W/S).  The PPG W/S glass is tinted and shaded.   

I opened a thread on TC (while CRG was down) in attempt to identify if the current Pilkington Classic repro tinted/shaded windshield is an accurate reproduction (or not).. and I've gotten some answers but not all.  The Pilkington classic repro has a 'blue shaded' area on the green tinted glass.  The marking they will use on my late windshield seems to be correct as best I can determine, but the 'blue shaded' area is an open area of concern.   if the blue shading was not used in late '69, then I'd rather leave in my scrubbed PPG W/S.   Does anyone have a known original LOF windshield in their car which is tinted and shaded?  I'd love to see photos of the marking on the WS and the shading and your estimation of the 'tint' of the shaded region.

Thanks in advance! 
Gary W / 09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette convertible, silver/black 350 hp,
60 Corvette white/red, 72 Corvette coupe, '70 Mach I 
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Re: New Reproduction Pilkington windshields
« Reply #1 on: Today at 03:09:18 AM »
I received some information today from Rick Celenza who now owns the black Z28-RS car previously owned and reported on by a couple of our CRG members.  It has it's original LOF tinted/shaded windshield.  Information and photos from Rick confirm the coding on the LOF windshield (consistent with that reported in the Glass Report and by others owning original tinted glass after the introduction of the DOT 15 marking.  He and his photos confirm the blue shading band on '69 tinted LOF windshields.   My current 69 dated PPG windshield also has the blue shaded region at the top.

So to summarize what I've learned about original LOF windshields from later in the '69 model year.  Green Tinted, blue shading, with the following code (I will have the TV date code for August of '69 etched.  An example of the etching is shown below (etched on the outside of the windshield, viewable from inside the car).

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Today at 06:32:29 AM »
Gary, I just replied to your thread at TC, but if we are talking about the car Lloyd recently sold, from memory that is an 04C build, more mid than later in the '69 model year. If that car's windshield has a blue tinted screen, do you know the date code on it? Can you post the picture(s) that Rick sent you so we can see the shaded band?
« Last Edit: Today at 08:26:16 AM by ZLP955 »
Tim - 04A VN '69 z/28 69-69 715 ex-E/MP

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:54:39 PM »
I think I can do that.. based on an assumption that Mark Cell desires to help us all... :)
I mentioned already that I checked my current windshield (what was in my car since I purchased it in '76.. it's a '69 dated PPG tinted/shaded WS and it also has the blue shaded region)..
Mark's windshield date code I think is IV although the glare in the photo puts this in the 'I think' realm.