Author Topic: Repro firewall pad fitment problem  (Read 2696 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Repro firewall pad fitment problem
« on: January 16, 2015, 02:37:45 AM »
I bought a Quiet Ride molded firewall pad and am test fitting it. I have a question about how the firewall pad is supposed to fit around the steering column / brake booster support bracket where the four brake booster support studs pass through the firewall.

When I took my car apart, a good part of my original pad in that area was gone so I have no reference.

In the first three photos below, you see the Quiet Ride pad in place and how it would seem the bracket is supposed to fit the cut out made for it. It seems the pad is designed to go in between the bracket and the firewall. With lower two of the fours studs passing through the pad and the top ones not. This seems odd to me because before I took the car apart, the bracket was directly against the firewall with no part of the original pad behind it......You can see in the lower two pictures what was left of my original pad in that area and it seems the pad was cut out completly around the bracket.

So I am wondering if this pad is made wrong or designed wrong and if I should return it or maybe just trim it to completely clear the bracket.

Thanks.....Dave

Thanks.....Dave

68rs327conv

• View Profile
    • The build
Re: Repro firewall pad fitment problem
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 03:17:56 AM »
Dave,

Place the support against the firewall behind the pad and fold the pad flap in front on the outside of the support.  Pad should not be between the support and firewall.

I purchased the same pad and had no issues installing it.

Mike
Mike
68 RS Conv 327/210hp, Powerglide Factory AC

anything