Go to full version

Model Specific Discussions > Trans-Am Camaros

Wanted: Photos/Info of Bob Mcginty/ Don Smith Sungro Camaro

(1/4) > >>

bobs67:
I am restoring the Bob Mcginty Camaro that was yellow and black #78, 48. When I got the car in 1983 it was painted Lime Green and Yellow saying "Sungro" owned by Don Smith. I would appreciate if any one can supply any info or have any pictures of the car.

Jon Mello:
Bob, thanks for signing up and joining the forum. I'm excited to hear about you restoring Bob McGinty's old car. Maybe 12-15 years ago I was looking at the Firebird/Camaro that Rick Titus owned. It was at Chuck Beck's shop near Phelan, CA. While I was there, Chuck Beck told me that he was the one who built the car for McGinty and the work was done at an Oldsmobile dealership that had gone out of business. It was somewhere in the LA area but I don't remember the exact town. Here's a little blurb about Chuck Beck... http://www.examiner.com/article/chuck-beck-celebrates-75th-with-another-atlanta-garage-party . If you look at Chuck's website, http://www.beck904.com/ , you'll find a phone number for him. It appears that he is now located in the Atlanta, GA area.

I've got a few pics of the car. Here's a very lousy one from the Finish Line publication in late '72. It appears that it may have the same paint scheme as the lower picture you posted above.

Jon Mello:
The earliest photo I have seen of the car was taken in March '68 at Willow Springs. It looks like it was an RS/SS originally.

Photo by Jack Brady & Associates

The car was repaint green and black by the time it was entered in this support race for the USRRC event at Laguna Seca in May '68.

It got sponsorship from Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA by the time it ran in this Riverside A/Sedan race in July '68.

Here's another shot from the same 7/68 Riverside event.

Here's McGinty's car and Donohue's Penske Camaro in turn 7 at the Riverside Trans-Am race in September '68.
The car has switched to a flat hood and standard Camaro grille by this point.

Petersen Publishing photo

Here's another shot from the '68 Riverside Trans-Am.

bobs67:
Thanks for the pictures and info, I really appreciate it. I wish I could find more pictures if any of the Don Smith version of the car as I have no images while running in those colors. As of now I just sent the car off to a guy in Pomona to get new quarters installed and flare them. In regards to Chuck Beck involvement, I knew he had a hand in the car and I saw his shop at cable airport in Upland, Ca. I saw the Titus Firebird in the background at the time, but I can't recall when this occurred. I can only date this event when Beck built the Lister with the crate engine with 58 mm Crossed Webers on the engine.

bobs67:
Here are some current pictures of the car in Dec 2014. I have all kinds of pictures of the car as a work in progress, but the biggest thing is to get the quarters and back end fixed up to move on from there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page