Author Topic: Alll original #s matching 67 RS. needs restoration, update or keep original?  (Read 2941 times)

hockeycpuck

• View Profile
I am the lucky guy with an uncle who has a 67 camaro thats been sitting in his garage for over 20 years.... I know it's a sin.  Anyways after many drunkin conversations; and a few sober ones between him, my mom and me the camaro is unofficially mine.  So I'm sitting on a #'s matching 67 RS camaro.  I don't know many specific details of its condition but I know its got a 327, not sure the tranny or rear-end, has the RS package, all drum breaks, its Butternut Yellow with Vinyl hardtop.  That's all the info I've been able to acquire from asking questions and occasionally looking through his cluttered garage.

I love cars especially muscle cars, and I've also worked in a restoration shop for most of last year before college.  No I don't have 30grand to throw into a car right now, but I plan for this to be my project when I'm not at school or work.

It's going to need a full restoration and its going to be done right. which is going to be fun  haha.  I live in NJ but lucky its been in a "garage" (more like a shed) for 20+ years so I expect rust, and its had gas and oil in it the whole time so a lots going to have to be rebuilt or replaced.  My dilemma is how should I restore it?  My uncle and some of our older friends don't like the idea of "Supping up a #s Matching Camaro", and also believe it should only be driven on nice sunny Sundays....  Thats just not how I work, if I own an awesome car I'm sure as hell going to drive it a lot, but do I want to keep as much as possible original but update performance and handling some by either adding bolt-ons and/or replacing parts.  No matter what I'm keeping all original parts that come off car.

Some concerns I have with restoring the car deal with the engine, tranny, and rear-end.  Getting these parts rebuilt isn't cheap and I don't want them to break whether i add bolt-ons or not.

My Overall wish is to have a 67 Camaro with around 350hp and tq, and good handling.  I plan on upgrading most of the suspension with all reversible bolt-on parts.  For the power should I try and squeeze this out of the original parts or go aftermarket and purchase aftermarket crate engine tranny and rear?

Option 1: Restore original parts, add bolt-on power and suspension, and go with it.  I'm happy but risk overall life, and decrease its "VALUE"  haha as if I'd sell the car.

Option 2: Replace Engine, Tranny, Rear and Suspension. keep all parts in my garage.  I'm happy, doesn't risk original parts, and can always swap Original parts in and out to keep "Old People" happy haha.

Option 3: Restore all Original.  I'm sad because not much muscle in my muscle car, but it keeps that "Value"

What thoughts do you guys have on the matter?

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
You should be able to reach your power goals with the 327, and without too much obvious to a casual inspection. I would consider a set of iron vortec heads (bang for your buck). I would also keep the interior and exterior close to original.  Suspension is another animal. Define good handling, 1/4 mile at a time or corner carver. Either way there is a lot on the aftermarket you can swap into your Camaro that will improve handling, and can be undone if you keep the original parts. If you plan on driving much, I would get correct (replacement parts over the counter) disk brakes at least on the front.

Just my immediate thoughts.  Wallet size also makes a difference.

Where in NJ? I'm by the shore.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

hockeycpuck

• View Profile
looks like a nice upgrade, but should risk the original engine and drive-train running on more power?  interior and exterior are staying factory. might have to fix or replace some stuff but it will all match stock. only thing that bothers me there is the black vinyl top that can have tons of rust under it, but the car wouldn't look right without it so I'm probably keeping it.  I'm looking at some different suspension kits to improve handling.  its going to be mostly a driving car that occasionaly goes to the track, so i'm more likely to be going fast around corners than in a straight line.  yes if its got more kick than my Cobalt SS i'll drive it every day.

I live in Mercerville.

anything