Author Topic: Starter Wire Routing  (Read 10495 times)

gro51

• 68 SS/RS 350
    • View Profile
Starter Wire Routing
« on: October 26, 2006, 01:07:27 AM »
Can someone descibe or post pics of the starter wire routing on a '68 SS/RS 350 Camaro? I'm talking about the 2 wires that come from the harness on the cowl area that run down behind to the starter.  Particularly, which side of the heater hoses do they go?  Which side of the exhaust manifold?   Is there any kind of heat shield?    Thanks.
Joe
Schodack, NY

'68 SS/RS 350, M21, 3:73, Rallye Green, Black Deluxe Interior

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Starter Wire Routing
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 02:34:07 PM »
The starter wiring branch of the harness runs down outboard of the heater core pipes, is retained by a clip under the inboard lower corner heater blower housing attachment, then goes to the starter, with no heat shield - it's shown in the Assembly Manual in UPC 12.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

gro51

• 68 SS/RS 350
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 09:59:34 PM »
Thanks John!
Joe
Schodack, NY

'68 SS/RS 350, M21, 3:73, Rallye Green, Black Deluxe Interior

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 03:07:18 PM »
gro51,

It is hard to see in this pic, but on 69's notice the metal retainer built into the wiring harness.  I am not sure if 68 and 69 use the same harness.  The retainer is crimped to the wiring and has an eyelet with tab that attaches to the bell housing bolt. The tab helps prevent the retainer from spinning when the bolt is tightened.  Good repro wiring harnesses include this retainer.

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2006, 02:47:42 AM »
How about the flat metal spring-clip around the solenoid?
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2006, 03:39:52 PM »
How about the flat metal spring-clip around the solenoid?

Yup, needs that too. :)
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2006, 07:57:31 PM »
Check out p. 158 in the AIM, under Sec. 12 covering Engine Electrical, it calls for clip P/N-3906181.  Rick's 1st Gen offers two different clips: #STR-10 for 67-69's listed as the "correct reproduction", $19.95, and #STR-8 also for 67-69’s listed as a "replacement" for $14.95.  The one listed as "correct reproduction" includes the large round hoop as show in the AIM.  The one I have shown is the "replacement”.

I was not sure what the large hoop was used for?

John....do you know?  Was there certain options, etc. that used the hoop?

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2006, 03:51:51 PM »
The original production-line part had the "hoop", and the GM Service part didn't - it's a "functional replacement" that serves the same function as the original (retaining the harness), but isn't exactly like the original production part in terms of appearance. Very common "consolidation" of service parts - the one without the "hoop" was used originally in some other GM application, is less expensive than the original Camaro production-line part, but is functionally adequate to service many similar applications. VERY few GM Service parts are the same as the original production part - thus the difference (which few folks understand, especially in eBay listings) between NOS (New Old Stock) and NORS (New Old Replacement Stock) GM parts.  :)
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

GaryL

• Marilyn and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 01:17:15 AM »
Check out p. 158 in the AIM, under Sec. 12 covering Engine Electrical, it calls for clip P/N-3906181.  Rick's 1st Gen offers two different clips: #STR-10 for 67-69's listed as the "correct reproduction", $19.95, and #STR-8 also for 67-69’s listed as a "replacement" for $14.95.  The one listed as "correct reproduction" includes the large round hoop as show in the AIM.  The one I have shown is the "replacement”.

I was not sure what the large hoop was used for?

I also wondered what the large loop's function was. I remember those clips from early 60's Chevies also. I used the correct one.

John....do you know?  Was there certain options, etc. that used the hoop?

I also wondered what the large loop's function was. I remember them from my early 60's Chevies. I used the correct one.

You are very right JohnZ. I have never heard NORS before. But I see a vendor selling door switches as NOS on eBay that can be purchased from Delco still today.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 01:21:47 AM by GaryL »
Gary

Lemans Blue X33. DZ, M20, manual steering. Only BU code rear end is original.

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2006, 03:28:38 AM »
Great feedback and very interesting side note on NOS vs NORS.  Like, GaryL, never thought about the difference.

anything