Author Topic: General Motors  (Read 13092 times)

chevysscamaro68

• View Profile
General Motors
« on: December 01, 2005, 01:29:44 AM »
With the recent news about GM going to eventually lay off 30,000 people, do you still think the camaro will make an appearance in the near future??

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: General Motors
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 03:57:06 PM »
A Camaro "concept" will be shown at the Detroit Auto Show next month.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Jimsl78

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 01:25:52 AM »
Looking at what GM's been doing in recent years, they have no balls and now are suffering the consequences.
I doubt they will ever bring it back.
 the other hand, look at what Dodge is doing.....the comeback of the Challenger?
http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=103629
Wouldn't it be nice to see the big 3 have a re-match?

« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 09:17:22 PM by Jimsl78 »

Z71

• View Profile
    • Amsoil Jobber
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 07:40:22 PM »
I see all the comments about 30,000 layoffs but the info I read from GM said that almost all of those were going to be thur attrition, normal retirements etc and it was scattered over the next 2-3 yrs.

Personally I dont' think there is a market for them.  Sure, some would buy them but not in large numbers.  If anything it will be something like the Cobalt, front drive 4 or V6 engine.  It you are wating for a V8, it won't happen.  Look  how loog it took to put a 5.3L V8 in the Impala.   Everything is front wheel drive and personally I would never buy a new FWD.  Had a POS 1998 Monte Carlo Z34 that I was sorry I bought, what a joke of a car, dealer and GM technical could not find the cause of severe torque steer even though the did everything but send the car back to Oshawa.  It would have got less on a buy-back with on 8,000 mile than a GMC dealer gave me on trade in.  The Chevy service mgr told me I should maybe go to another dealer to have the problem solved as he was done with it.  Thats why I drive a CTS and trucks....no more Chevys

« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 08:00:24 PM by Z71 »
Mike
Owned new (and still have stashed away) LOL
1966 Impala SS396
1970 Chevelle SS454
1972 El Camino SS350
1973 Chevelle SS350
2002 Trans Am WS6 Ram Air

Jimsl78

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 08:57:20 PM »
A Camaro "concept" will be shown at the Detroit Auto Show next month.
Might well be

but they've already announced they've killed the platform it was meant to be built on. They also admitted (and I quote) "there wasn't a replacement on the drawing boards for the forseeable future"

Serves those GM morons right. They ditched a perfectly viable platform, that was selling well enough and had reached it's "zenith" of technical development.

Those head office imbeciles could have sold that last platform for an additional 10 years, with tooling and dies long paid for (pure profit).

Same would have held true about the 96 RWD Impalas. Not only the performance ones, but they handed Ford the entire police market on a platter.

Then they redesign their FS truck with the ugliest headlight confirguration yet to be released on an unsuspecting public.

The body contours and headlight placement on their S-10 (a 15 year mistake in itself) replacement, the Colorado, couldn't have been uglier and less practical if they'd been trying to make it ugly and impractical.

What the hell is wrong with the people at GM ? They're like British Leyland in the 50s and 60s. At that time they had a lock on the entire import market of North America and THEY GAVE IT TO THE JAPANESE. Is that what GM is doing ?

They can't even rebadge a Niponese car properly. They import their Japanese chasis's and then make them uglier !!!!

I've begun to hate GM, but with that said, nobody wants to see them go under. That would be like a major battle lost to the Japanese. Let's just hope they get smarter.

CNorton

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2005, 02:25:51 PM »
It appears that they may be trying to balance the books with their parts department.  I was quoted local prices of $753 for a non-vented Optispark distributor and $337 for an LT1 water pump yesterday.  Even with a few mark-ups along the way, I couldn't stomach that rip-off.  I later found the same new parts for $304 and $178 respectively through an online parts source.  A few hikes like that and they will drive the remaining Gen 4 F-bodies off the road as well.

The Pres is right!  We do have a booming economy!

c

Z71

• View Profile
    • Amsoil Jobber
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2005, 02:48:52 PM »
GM parts have always been high.  They have many levels of price structure.   I needed a new 5.0L engine for my 1992 plow truck.  Local dealer whome I have bought several vehicles from and know well said he wil sell the engine at cost if he can do the intall.  Good deal, hey?   No, not realy.  His cost was $2250+- and he showed my it.  I got one from Jim Pace Performance parts for $1638.  When I asked Pace why, they said we are warehouse dealer and buy trucks loads of GM engine per month and get volume prices., nealy $600 less and my buddy could not beleive he is screwed by GM like that.   They still installed it for me though.

Ac Delco oil filters are cheaper at AC Delco retails than from GM Parts, one for my CTS is nearly $10 from Cadi dealer, AC Delco its less than $7.

Thought I read years back that to build a car from parts would cost over $100,000 wherease off the lot, about 25g.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 02:51:45 PM by Z71 »
Mike
Owned new (and still have stashed away) LOL
1966 Impala SS396
1970 Chevelle SS454
1972 El Camino SS350
1973 Chevelle SS350
2002 Trans Am WS6 Ram Air

waynechipman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2005, 07:59:32 PM »
As long as GM and the rest of American Car manufacturers have Gays at all the top end levels of management we will see nothing but garbage come from them and they will continue to lose ground to the Japs. I mean look how GM is copying Toyotas totally ugly front lights. And the retro look with a big fat ugly globs of plastic at the front and rear just don't cut it. As far as GM going under wouldn't bother me at all. They are producing nothing but front wheel drive garbage and how can anyone even call what they make now GM product it may carry the GM name but that is about it. Bush is a great President, the problem with this country and its cars is that they have let a bunch of Qu##rs in congress dictate what our Car companies can produce. There is not a single Congressman who would know the difference between a torque wrench and a pair of pliers.The only thing our Congressmen know how to do is to keep getting away with taking bribes from special interests and to have all their little 14 year old boys hanging around them and calling them pages. It is quite sick what is going on in Capital hill but I guess America has became a land of sickos. If anyone had any pride in america we would band together and not buy any american car garbage for one year and I will bet GM and Ford would come around. Fat chance with all the girlmen in America wanting to buy a little gay car and impress I don't know who with

clwilcox

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2005, 09:21:03 PM »
As long as GM and the rest of American Car manufacturers have Gays at all the top end levels of management we will see nothing but garbage come from them and they will continue to lose ground to the Japs.

I couldn't read past this line.  Anything else you might have had to say past this can't possibly be intelligent.
Christropher
1967 RS/SS 350......in pieces still.

waynechipman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2005, 02:19:20 AM »
Anything to get a rise out of people, But if You have a better explanation for the sorry state of American manufacturing I sure would like to hear it. I have yet to see Anyone address the state of our manufacturing capabilities. And Contrary to the Liberal press, Our manufacturing woes did not begin 90 days after Bush getting elected. So if that is the premise of any so called intelligent answer, don't even bother As it is I could write page after page explaining the actual cuases of our economic downfall, I simply put it in a nutshell what the real problem is. Sorry if I offended You sometimes the truth is hard to handle. Like the real reason we are in Iraq, same as why we were in Veitnam. And I will let You in on a little secret it has nothing to do with Oil

anything