Author Topic: if you could go back and redesign the 67/8 .. or that other one,  (Read 20862 times)

Sauron327

• View Profile
Re: if you could go back and redesign the 67/8 .. or that other one,
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2014, 01:53:33 PM »
I have seen fairly late model dodge trucks here with the bed side rotted out and you can see a rope looking piece in there that didn't help the problem
 You beat me to that observation, Bill. Same here too on Long Island...many new trucks with wheel opening rot. Looking closely at them I can see no matter how much care the owner does to the truck, that is still rotting from behind the paint and from an inaccessible cavity.
  Mike

Late mode Dodge rear wheelwells have holes that allow water and debris to be trapped and begin rotting the pinchwelds and metal from the inside. Chevy trucks do the same thing by a similar design. Dodge inner rockers have factory taped over holes that provide access for application of rust prevention products and cavity waxes but I've never seen an owner do it. That is why I do so many rocker replacements. Dodge rockers are triple walled and the center wall completely disintegrates. Frame rot is common, shock mounts rotted off are also. All pinchwleds are prone to failure simply by neglect.

Chevy rear wheewells have plastic plugs which provide rust prevention access but again, no one does it. I rebuilt an '05 GMC last year with 62K miles. It needed full rockers , cab corners, and door bottoms. Cab corners are foam fillled which gets soaking wet. No amount of rust prevention can stop it because it's inaccessible. Corner replacement is inevitable. Chevy rockers are also triple walled and the outer wall is very thin. Repro replacement rockers are 16 gauge and superior to GM rockers.

If people took immediate measures upon purchasing a vehicle, many, but not all corrosion problems can be avoided. Salt and calcium chloride destroys daily drivers and work vehicles. It's still cheaper to fix the rot than spend $40K+ on a replacement truck. Some let the rot progress and repair becomes out of their financial reach.

VINCE Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2014, 03:16:43 PM »
Guys as much as we all love our cars and trucks lots of people see them as just a tool to get us from point "A" to point "B". And yes, some of us clean our tools better then others.... :D
" He who knows naught, knows not that he knows naught"  It's not you...  It's just the way my brain is wired.

F68

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2014, 07:20:16 PM »
  Them ole Camaros,  best damn sporty car for the buck avalable to us US Americans,  but--Nothing is perfect.....
 Myself -I have always been pre-occupied with styling, and annoyed by  styling glitches that seem  last minute additions to clay full scale models added my ignoramous's'

The 67-and 8 got pretty close to perfect proportions for what they were, but having sufferd the same  abuse all you guys also agonized over..door dings...... The crease running down the length i would have  smoothed over and eliminated,  also since i have done custom pieces like a road racing front faring -even before  , I did not like the indented wheel well lips stamped in just to fit  the tacky  wheel opening trim ,  i would have just had a 1/2" flat vertical edge all the way around , those are the two basic changes i wish the cars had when they came out,  but i can turn my imagination loose,,,, You guys would not believe what would have been

There, I fixed the style problem:

I have never really supported  intolerance --- but this guy  proves the fact that there is a reason for the concept..........Just sayin