Author Topic: Flash Chrome - Recommendations for a reputable shop?  (Read 3522 times)

Z10Mike

• View Profile
Flash Chrome - Recommendations for a reputable shop?
« on: December 05, 2014, 02:50:08 PM »
 I want to get my original 69 big block valve covers re-plated in the original "flash chrome".  I searched the forum on the subject and didn't turn up anything definitive.   Anyone have recommendations for reputable shops with REASONABLE prices that can duplicate the finish?  I have no interest in triple chrome mirror like plating.  Trying to get the ball rolling on this so I can get all the original engine bay pieces back on the car for next spring.  Thanks in advance to everyone for your feedback.

maroman

• View Profile
Re: Flash Chrome - Recommendations for a reputable shop?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 03:53:18 PM »
 Flash chrome is just nickle and chrome, no copper as you say. The covers can rust just like the originals do. But the mirror finish is in the polishing. You MAY want to get the triple plating for rust protection but tell them you want to rough finish to duplicate the factory finish. Seriously, it may be more difficult then show chrome.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 03:53:55 PM »
Have you tried Crane Corvette Supply? They make the best accurate aftermarket BB valve covers. I think they also do flash chrome, though I' am not sure if it includes BB.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 04:12:27 PM »
The copper is used as a filler for smoothing the surface.
They typically polish the copper then nickel plate it then polish the nickel then the Chrome is only a thin plate for protection more and evening the surface color between lots than anything.
Find a business who does industrial chrome plating for something such as Hydraulic Cylinders pistons, or corrosion protection, smoothness etc and not for it's aesthetic qualities.     
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

joesauer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 05:21:27 PM »
Not sure where you are located.  Try Sherms Plating in Sacramento, California (shermsplating.com).  They are one of the top shops in Calif. & can do what you are looking for.

anything