Go to full version

Camaro Research Group Discussion > Originality

Service Engines (CE coded)

<< < (2/26) > >>

ZLP955:
Thanks guys.
Bryon, I'm curious because in several discussions on CE blocks, well-respected members and contributors here and elsewhere have stated that the next best thing to a car's original block is a CE block with documentation, then descending in order from a NOM but correct casting, suffix and date coded block, all the way down to a crate engine as the least preferred.
Therefore I am curious as to what original warranty replacement documentation was provided to the owner by the dealer, and if that documentation did not include the CE stamp number from the pad, how would one go about proving that a car still has the block that GM replaced under warranty?

I'm sure I recall seeing a post (either here or at TC) that suggested it was possible to have a block dated earlier than the car it was fitted to, hence my question on whether blocks were set aside for service replacements, or machined, fitted with rotating assembly (if required) and stamped on demand.

ZLP955:

--- Quote from: ZLP955 on December 07, 2014, 12:29:17 AM ---I'm sure I recall seeing a post (either here or at TC) that suggested it was possible to have a block dated earlier than the car it was fitted to, hence my question on whether blocks were set aside for service replacements, or machined, fitted with rotating assembly (if required) and stamped on demand.

--- End quote ---
Found that thread - http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=213236
It was actually Kurt who wrote the reply (#4) that I remembered:
"Any 69-74 SB with CE on the pad could have gone into the car. It could be dated before the car.... "
So surely that means that at least some blocks were held in inventory before machining and stamping?

bcmiller:
Tim,

JohnZ would best be able to answer you question on the machining and stamping.  Or maybe bergy.

I would think that the blocks used would just be from the normal flow of cast parts.  Once they were built, they were stamped.  But I could be wrong.

From John's post above...
"CE" short blocks were built based on demand, normally on weekend overtime;

I think it COULD be before the car build date, but that would not be common unless the engine was blown almost immediately.  But it is possible.

Bottom line, if you don't have the docs to prove it was replaced under warranty, it is just another NOM.  

I think still having the warranty paperwork to prove it after all these years would be rare.

bcmiller:
I have several CE big blocks and at least one CE small block.

KurtS:
John's info that they were not held in inventory is a surprise to me. It could be different during the production year.
A given short/fitted block could service a multitude of applications, so it wasn't like stocking a white elephant. I recall some mechanics saying they were delivered from the zone warehouse, but nothing absolute.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page