Author Topic: Anyone heard of Mod top added to 25 th. Z28?  (Read 9794 times)

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
Anyone heard of Mod top added to 25 th. Z28?
« on: November 23, 2014, 12:27:22 AM »
  I was on Facebook 1 st. Gen. Camaro page this afternoon, and they started talking about Mod tops on early Camaros.  I had never heard of this.  During the conversation one pic. was posted of a Gold '67 Camaro with White stripes that look correct.  Further into the conversation I was directed to site where the pic. originally came from, where it stated that the car was believed to be the 25 th. Z28 built delivered to Funston Chevrolet.  Not saying it was a "factory installed" vinyl top, but it seems there were quite a few "Dealer installed" Mod tops.

(I think this car may be the 25th Z-28 built, which was in fact shipped to Jim Funston Chevrolet. Notice the snow on the ground? This suggests a January-February timeframe. On the side it looks like it may say "Kar Topper". Lots of interesting stuff like body color rally wheels, gold line tires instead of the usual redlines, & white stripes when they should be black. I see shoulder belts too. Pretty cool but wonder what happened to it.)

« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 01:19:49 AM by MyRed67 »
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

L78racer

• View Profile
Re: Anyone heard of Mod top added to 25 th. Z28?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 01:43:14 AM »
not a factory top. more info here.
http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/339875/1

more pics of the car. custom paint done by Funston's body shop. top done at a local trim shop.

Paul

TRLAND

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 02:46:20 AM »
 I was on Facebook 1 st. Gen. Camaro page this afternoon, and they started talking about Mod tops on early Camaros.  I had never heard of this.

Mike, Interesting timing as I just got back from the Muscle Car and Corvette National show today in Rosemont near Chicago where I met RogerH from Team Camaro.  He has a beautiful restored mod top Camaro in the show that he bought new in '67. He said he scoured the internet to eventually find a dealer who happened to have some of the material with the exact pattern to restore his top.  He's also from Illinois (Quincy) so maybe you'll be able to see it sometime.
Mike in Northern Illinois
1967 RS 327

L78racer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 05:37:43 PM »
one more.

Paul

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 06:39:43 PM »
Remembering the Mopar ModTops I kind of like it, but not the body color ralleys.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

RAfbody

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 03:41:15 AM »
one more.

Interesting that the trim rings and center caps are on the car.
Russ

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 06:27:33 AM »
  I was on Facebook 1 st. Gen. Camaro page this afternoon, and they started talking about Mod tops on early Camaros.  I had never heard of this.

Mike, Interesting timing as I just got back from the Muscle Car and Corvette National show today in Rosemont near Chicago where I met RogerH from Team Camaro.  He has a beautiful restored mod top Camaro in the show that he bought new in '67. He said he scoured the internet to eventually find a dealer who happened to have some of the material with the exact pattern to restore his top.  He's also from Illinois (Quincy) so maybe you'll be able to see it sometime.
  I did not make it to this MCCN Show this time around, I have been to several, even dating back to when it was Chevy/Vette Fest.  I have a  few friends who went, and have posted several pics., didn't see a Mod Top Camaro. 
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 06:34:28 AM »
one more.

Interesting that the trim rings and center caps are on the car.
Also interesting,,,,both cars are from Jim Funston Chevrolet.  Wonder if it was just exhibition/advertising.  Looks like the Black car is a "Big Block" automatic.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

basecoupe#79

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 09:57:39 AM »
  I was on Facebook 1 st. Gen. Camaro page this afternoon, and they started talking about Mod tops on early Camaros.  I had never heard of this.

Mike, Interesting timing as I just got back from the Muscle Car and Corvette National show today in Rosemont near Chicago where I met RogerH from Team Camaro.  He has a beautiful restored mod top Camaro in the show that he bought new in '67. He said he scoured the internet to eventually find a dealer who happened to have some of the material with the exact pattern to restore his top.  He's also from Illinois (Quincy) so maybe you'll be able to see it sometime.
  I did not make it to this MCCN Show this time around, I have been to several, even dating back to when it was Chevy/Vette Fest.  I have a  few friends who went, and have posted several pics., didn't see a Mod Top Camaro. 
It was in the "Color My World" area.

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=307858&page=3

camaroboy68ss

• 1968 L30/M20
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 08:02:45 PM »
  I was on Facebook 1 st. Gen. Camaro page this afternoon,

What group on Facebook? I'm one of the admins on the a First Gen Camaro Connection group on facebook. I think I remember seeing some conversation on patterned tops the other day.
Young gun with a Camaro or 2.
1968 Camaro RS L30/M20, 2017 Camaro SS
1968 Chevy C10 - Twin to the Camaro
1933 Ford Pickup - "Camaro in disguise"

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 12:22:15 AM »
  I was on Facebook 1 st. Gen. Camaro page this afternoon,

What group on Facebook? I'm one of the admins on the a First Gen Camaro Connection group on facebook. I think I remember seeing some conversation on patterned tops the other day.

camaroboy68 ss;  1st Gen Camaro Owners

1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 12:25:10 AM »
TRLAND
  Mike;  is this the Camaro Mod top you saw this weekend?
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

TRLAND

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2014, 03:53:19 AM »
TRLAND

Yes, That's Roger's car and that's my orange shirt and jeans visible on the other side of the car.  Who took the picture?
Mike in Northern Illinois
1967 RS 327

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2014, 05:19:38 AM »
TRLAND
Yes, That's Roger's car and that's my orange shirt and jeans visible on the other side of the car.  Who took the picture?
Mike; here is the link;
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203233378899877&set=pcb.10154848395620128&type=1&theater
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Mike C.    NW - Illinois