Author Topic: Bill Thomas /race cars  (Read 15814 times)

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Bill Thomas /race cars
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2014, 03:52:05 AM »
Looks like somebody bought the rockers and all the other pics have been taken down from the ad.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2014, 03:00:27 AM »
Bill Thomas had some involvement with Andy Porterfield's '68 Z/28 Trans-Am car, building the
race engine, providing the headers and exhaust, and contributing to the chassis set-up.

Jon Mello Collection
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2014, 03:12:44 AM »
It is believed that the decal shown below is the style used in two places on the front fender of Porterfield's orange Camaro.

Jon Mello Collection
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2014, 04:58:56 AM »
The February 18, 1967 issue of Competition Press & Autoweek reported that Bill Thomas would be involved in heading up
the Nickey Chevrolet Trans-Am effort but this was a short lived endeavor. 1967 was an off year for car sales in general and
Nickey decided to conserve their resources shortly after this. I talked to George Follmer about this recently and he told me
that he was good friends with Bill Thomas and does not recall ever being asked to drive a Camaro for him.

(Jon Mello Collection)
Jon Mello
CRG

satman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2014, 10:20:09 PM »

Neat stuff Jon............
Back in 1968 I was in LA building engines for some  Australia racers I used to buy a lot of my parts from Bill Thomas and in those days it was a real happening place Their primary focus on drag racing and Corvairs with a small bit of road racing thrown in. I think they were mainly brokers with most of the good stuff coming from Traco and other local suppliers.

AL

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2014, 08:38:51 PM »
Thanks, Al. Yes, BTRC sold a lot of performance parts, often from other suppliers but they would also build and modify cars for people there in their shop. By 1971 though it was all over.
Jon Mello
CRG

anything