Go to full version

Camaro Research Group Discussion > Originality

67 L35 black lid wing nut shape

(1/2) > >>

Mike S:
Hello Group,

I did search the CRG archives and couldn't find a definitive answer to my curiosity on these shapes.
Attached is an image of the two different style wing nuts used on my 67 L35 Camaros.
As you can see the LOS shape differs from the NOR shape. This is not to be confused with the
one available today that has a more pronounced bulge in the wing tab shapes similar to the NOR nut.
  Theses have been on the cars since I owned them since 1980. The archive did mention the shape of the nut on the LOS
was a correct for that period but the one from NOR is of question. I'm not sure if this is due to an engineering change in shape, the wrong one, or just a vendor variance (I doubt the vendor would change a shape without approval from GM).

Can anyone shed some info on this? Is the NOR one correct? I also attached a picture from Ricks that has the same shape of the NOR nut.
My air cleaners are the black lid type used till mid '67 so no chrome nuts were used.

Thank You,
Mike

big iron:
Mike,
Could we have an over head shot of the NOR wing nut?
Here is some ideas.
67 AIM L35 A8 and L30 A4 show that production wing nuts where used. Now, 6 C1 (6 cyl.) and 6 C2 (8 cyl.) show that 9418699 was used on both engines. It would be safe to assume that 9418699 was the production wing nut used on all engines except the 302 and the 396 375HP that used a chrome wing nut 219281. I believe that 219281 is the same wing nut as 9418699 and respecified with flash chrome.
68,69 AIM show the same thing ,just on different pages.
Do not think that small differences in appearance due to vendor manufacturing processes was of importance as long as vendors meet specifications set forth by the DRE engineer.
Bob

Anyone with a known untouched 67 survivor have a picture you could post would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Mike S:
Hi Bob,

Thanks for chiming in. I'll post top views when I get home today.
Interesting find in the AIM. I didn't look at the 6 cyl portions.

Mike

KurtS:
The prints often would allow the supplier a lot of latitude, and still meet design intent. I wouldn't be surprised if it was just different suppliers.

Mike S:
 Here is a picture of the top views.
I'm inclined to think that it is a supplier change as you indicate, Kurt. This nut has been on the car since I bought it
34 years ago so I can only assume it is original. My thinking is the larger wings make it more comfortable to loosen a nut that is too tight.

Thank You,
Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page