Author Topic: Documented 1970 RS Z/28 National Press Camaro  (Read 6205 times)

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
Documented 1970 RS Z/28 National Press Camaro
« on: November 08, 2014, 09:18:49 PM »
I saw this car on my local Craigslist and thought it looked pretty real. There are often stories about cars being special built for certain events, but this one seems to be documented via the build sheet:

1970 Chevrolet Camaro RS / Z28
 GM National Press Showing / Magazine Cover Car

This 1970 Camaro Z28 was part of a "National Press showing" in February of '70 and was featured on the cover of at least one automotive publication (see details below) as well as appearing in "Camaro Muscle Portfolio" published by Brooklands Books in 1992. Spending it's entire life in Southern California, the car is in exceptional condition. Originally finished in "Citrus Green Poly", the current owner performed a minor restoration in 2007 and had the body refinished in the factory-correct "Forest Green Poly" with black stripes. A 1970 date-coded 400 cid Chevrolet small block was also installed in addition to numerous upgrades and optional equipment including an RS Front Spoiler. Aside from the original Production Broadcast / Build Sheet, (which states this vehicle is to be used for press purposes), documentation also includes original parts and repair receipts dating back to the late 1970's.

History:

In late January 1970, Camaro #3475 pulled out of the GM Assembly Plant in Van Nuys, California three days ahead of it's scheduled February 3rd production date. Specially ordered with both the Z22 Rally Sport Package and Z28 Special Performance Option, the "Citrus Green Poly" & black striped Camaro had already been reserved by Hansen Chevrolet in West Los Angeles. However, before the dealer took full possession of the car, it was fitted with a manufacturer plate (34F 015) and transported to the new car prep lot along with five other Z28's in various color schemes.

Over the course of the next two weeks, members of the automotive press (including Motor Trend, Car & Driver, Hot Rod and Motorcade) made arrangements to conduct extensive reviews of the new Z28's and either specified or were assigned a particular car. White vinyl adhesive numbers were applied to the front and rear windows of each car with a corresponding spec sheet listing specific trim, options, etc. The "Citrus Green Poly" Camaro was identified as #3 in the group and initially assigned to Motorcade magazine, which featured it on the cover of their May issue. GM Heritage Center has confirmed that only one "Citrus Green Poly" Z28 was part of the 1970 National Press Showing in Southern California and all specs listed in the Motorcade article exactly match this vehicle's original build sheet. The Heritage Center archivists are also in the process of decoding the specially-assigned manufacturer license plates from the 1969-71 period.

It's too bad it's not painted the original color and it's missing the LT1 engine  :(

VIN: 124870L503475

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
Re: Documented 1970 RS Z/28 National Press Camaro
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 05:47:19 AM »
Don't see too many CA Manufacturer license plates.

Car was on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/181529908430
Kurt S
CRG

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 05:51:28 PM »
Don't see too many CA Manufacturer license plates.

Car was on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/181529908430

I have seen more CA MFG plates than I have seen build sheets with special notes. Do you have a lot of build sheets with special notes at CRG?

15 seems to be a popular CA MFG plate number, perhaps it's assigned to GM?

Living in CA I see a few MFG plates on the highway these days. Some CA some MI. I just saw a pair of camouflaged cars with MI MFG plates zipping down the 405 freeway late at night with light traffic. I was tempted to see where they were going!

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 06:04:22 PM »
I agree, I was on the 215 the other day and saw a camouflaged Malibu (?) with michigan plates. Interesting, but it's not like we spotted a new Vette or the new Camaro. I might be excited then....
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 03:10:56 AM »
Special notes - yes, but not many about the destination. Mostly about the build configuration.

I see MI MFG plates all the time. Heck, I got one on my car.
Kurt S
CRG

HawkX66

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 02:18:33 PM »
Special notes - yes, but not many about the destination. Mostly about the build configuration.

I see MI MFG plates all the time. Heck, I got one on my car.
I see them on different cars zipping up and down 23 all the time. There's a few nice Vettes that I see on M50 all the time with them also.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Z23 711 U17 Hugger Orange
Semper Fi!

anything