Author Topic: Radio Delete Block-off Plug  (Read 5953 times)

68SixBangerRS

• Camaro Project from HELL
    • View Profile
Radio Delete Block-off Plug
« on: October 22, 2014, 02:55:20 AM »
"L6Ragtop" noticed my '68 was a radio delete car and asked about the antenna block-off plug. Here's a photo of it to add to the info about originality on this site. Best regards to all.

Mike S

• View Profile
Re: Radio Delete Block-off Plug
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 03:18:47 PM »
 That plug was used for a rear mounted antenna too. Is there a part number on the plug?
Thanks for posting as an FYI because it's always welcomed to have the into at hand when doing a search.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

BillG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 12:19:01 PM »
I have heard that a lot of dealers would order their cars radio delete to save money and then have cheaper GM radios installed in their parts dept.  When they did this they mounted the antenna in the rear because it was easier to access.  I'm not saying I know this for a fact, but I have heard of it.
Bill Garrett

68SixBangerRS

• Camaro Project from HELL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 04:54:15 PM »
Hey Mike...there was a number on it, but the rubber is too degraded to make it out. It wasn't a GM number. I am in the process of disassembling the car so I can begin replacing rusty sheet metal.

That plug was used for a rear mounted antenna too. Is there a part number on the plug?
Thanks for posting as an FYI because it's always welcomed to have the into at hand when doing a search.

Mike

L6Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 11:49:11 AM »
Bill,

My convertible came with a 1967 date stamped Bendix AM radio with the antenna mounted on the front fender.  Given the radio date stamp, I'd guess it was installed at the dealer prior to or at the time of the sale.  If you didn't know any better, you would think it was an OE installation.

Dan

I have heard that a lot of dealers would order their cars radio delete to save money and then have cheaper GM radios installed in their parts dept.  When they did this they mounted the antenna in the rear because it was easier to access.  I'm not saying I know this for a fact, but I have heard of it.

67 RS Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 03:57:57 PM »
My 10B '67 plug has a number (again somewhat weathered) and the number appears to be 4 (8 or 9)358 (9 or 4)3. Did not want to remove it, as it appears to be the original, as the car had the factory rear antenna. I can supply a picture if you need it, when I return after the 8th of Nov.

BillG

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 02:07:50 AM »
Dan,
Mines a Pace car, so I know it couldn't have come with a rear mount antenna.  It was mounted a little forward of the factory rear location,so it doesn't touch the spoiler when the trunk is opened.
Looking through the crack the number on it appears to be 4,9or3,U5945.  Hope this helps.  Bill
Bill Garrett

Camarocards

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 03:13:51 AM »
Here is a pic of the plug on my 01D '68 rear mounted antenna. VERY  difficult read. The numbers appear to be 805843. Opposite the numbers are some additional numbers which look like ?91.

Hope this helps,

Bob
Bob
'68 SS L35 01D

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 04:11:25 AM »
Hi Bob,

That number should be 4805843. Mine (67 05B conv) only has 43 visible due to previous paint jobs before I bought the car and using thinners to remove the paint removed some of the raised numbers. There are reproductions for this but lack the numbering.
This is good to see another plug confirming the number  :)
 I find the sealer on the '68 hinge interesting. Looks like in 68 it was brought down the side? My '67's only have sealer on the top hinge and only on the top side. The texture on yours is interesting. I wonder what was used to cause that pattern.

Thank you for sharing this picture as I am sure future searches will find it helpful.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

anything