Go to full version

Camaro Research Group Discussion > Originality

Galvanized finish on 67-68 tail light housings, hot dipped or electroplated?

(1/5) > >>

bowtie68iho:
The original 67-68 tail light housing backing plates after almost 50 years look like a dull gray plating with a spangle pattern.  I'd say they almost look like an old galvanized chain link fence that has lost its luster over the years.  Even the repros have duplicated the aged, dull, finish (but the repros don't have the SAE 67 stampings).  Chain link fences are/were hot-dipped galvanized and also have the spangle pattern in the finish due to large zinc crystallites in the molten solution. 

Electrogalvanizing, also known as "clear zinc" plating, is a thinner plating than hot-dipping and does not have the spangle in it. 

In a separate CRG blog under Restoration, "Cadmium vs. Zinc Plating," JohnZ stated that either zinc or cadmium plating was an option in the 60's.  However, he didn't clarify which form of zinc and for which parts.  I'm guessing certain parts were clear zinc and certain ones were hot-dipped?  A good picture of aged, dull looking original ones, is posted under CRG blog Restoration, "Restoring a galvanized finish ???."

Does anyone know with certainty whether hot-dipped galvanizing or electrogalvanizing (i.e., "clear zinc"), or either, were original plating finishes on these housing backing plates?  Either finish would be shiny and look very different than the aged, dull look on all original and repro ones today.  It is important for our community to know if either or both of these finishes are acceptable to judges.

Thanks in advance!

69Z28-RS:
Attached is a photo of the back of a pair of '67 TL housings which came from a race car (long ago take offs) that I think might be representative of 'original'??

Mike S:
 I checked my '67 04B LOS and '67 05B NOR original tail housings and they have a very clear and definite spangle texture.
I would say they were hot dipped.

Mike

bowtie68iho:
69Z28-RS,

I noticed Phillip head screws holding the housings onto the bezels.  Are these correct for originality?  I thought the fasteners were hex head zinc screws?

Bernie

JohnZ:
I'd guess, based on volume economics, that they were stamped from hot-dip galvanized rolled sheet stock, which then required no further processing or handling.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page