Author Topic: Black Paint on Chrome Parts  (Read 7279 times)

big iron

• View Profile
Black Paint on Chrome Parts
« on: October 13, 2014, 12:22:26 AM »
Have several parts that have been re-chromed and was wondering how the black was applied on factory parts. Looking at the factory pieces there does not seem to be any primer used to promote adhesion but the factory black was perfect after +40 years. You can look in the corners where the paint is thin and there is no signs of chipping or lifting.
I have researched this topic and really do not like the idea of sanding with 600 grit and using etching primer especially on the 67 tail light housings. I spent allot of money to chrome the housings and not destroy the rough definition only to destroy it with primer and paint.
Anyone know how the factory paint was applied and what paint, Sims, Worth, Rustoleum 7777, (?) could be used to get the closest to original?
I am leaning towards a thin slow drying enamel with the possibility of heat to help drying. Something along the lines of the original body painting process.
Bob

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Re: Black Paint on Chrome Parts
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 02:47:00 AM »
A guess:  tape masking and using a very light coat of a 'self etching' or 'zinc chromate' type of primer under the topcoat *might* be the key... Haven't done it on chrome, but on galvanized metal or aluminum it typically is necessary.
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 12:15:45 PM »
Bob,

Are you referring to the blackout on the tail lamps within the "bumpy" areas? I did mine back in the 80's using a few light coats of GM reconditioning black (no primer) and to this day they still look good with no lifting.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 04:14:27 AM »
Mike,
Yes and the center vent and AC control panel. What thinner is used with the GM reconditioning black? How long does it take to cure? You think the GM paint is a little too glossy? The best I can remember is that the black used had very little gloss if any.
I believe something like the black back ground used on gauges was used on the center vent and control panel. Looking at the factory parts the paint would have to have covered in a single coat as there is no tape edge where the black ends and chrome begins and in some of the corners there is only a mist of paint.
Bob

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 10:32:32 PM »
 The GM paint I used then was pre-thinned so it went on straight from the can. It is more of an egg shell gloss, as I would describe it. Looks darn close to Rust-Oleum 7777. Being it was from GM I figured it was the same gloss used for the firewall, tail panel (BB) and radiator and inner fender support so I used it as such. It was a lacquer and dried quickly. I don't know what the GM reconditioning black mixture is today.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 10:54:55 PM »
Use SEM Trim Black. It is a professional product, dries fast, provides an excellent finish and adheres well. It is very close to PPG code 9266, same as the black interior code for dash faces used in 8 and 9. Leave the Rustoleum at the hardware store. Another shop owner I know likes Transtar trim black but I've yet to use it.

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 11:47:56 PM »
Sauron,
Please explain dash faces. Are you talking about the interior metal trim for 67 and dash in 68 and 69?
Bob

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 01:19:43 AM »
Paint code for '68 and '69 dash faces is PPG 9266. Dash face and tops of doors for '67 is PPG 9248. SEM Trim Black closely matches years 8 and 9.

Dash tops for all three years was zero gloss, suede finish. PPG code 9317. Texture easily achieved by using SEM Texture Coating, followed by a topcoat.

Sauron,
Please explain dash faces. Are you talking about the interior metal trim for 67 and dash in 68 and 69?
Bob

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 03:46:41 PM »
Sauron,
When using the SEM Texture Coating is the PPG 9317 topcoat sprayed wet on wet?
Bob

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 12:41:26 PM »
SEM tx coat is not to be used wet-on-wet. To achieve the correct texture, you'll have to practice if using aerosol and if gun spraying. A spit from the aerosol can be easily fixed by dabbing with a finger or q-tip. It depends on one's capabilities. I've had to redo a dash due to someone's poor application. I topcoat it with SEM Trim black with flattening agent added to it. If you have your jobber mix the paint there is no need for the SEM product, PPG DX1999 texture additive is added to the mix. Always read the tech sheets for products, they are all available on-line: http://www.semproducts.com/manage/html/public/content/techsheets/sem_tds_texture_coating.pdf

Sauron,
When using the SEM Texture Coating is the PPG 9317 topcoat sprayed wet on wet?
Bob

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 03:01:19 AM »
Sauron
Which of the two procedures would produce the best long term solution for application in Florida? I prefer to use a gun but I am not a professional.
Bob