Author Topic: Proper type of sealant or seal to use ???  (Read 3455 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Proper type of sealant or seal to use ???
« on: October 07, 2014, 12:11:16 AM »
I am looking for the proper sealant(s) to use in the following area so that water doesn't get where it is not supposed to.......

The bolts that attach the rear bumper brackets to the body. The AIM shows a sealant or cement on the bolts but I don't what it actually is.

The rear side marker light bezel studs where they pass through the quarter panel into the trunk....... The rear sidelights must have been installed at Fisher Body since the install is not shown in the AIM. I have the small gaskets that seal the plastic light housings to the body but it seems like the bezel studs will need something.

And basically anywhere else where a bolt or screw passes through the body where you don't want water to enter.

I have some 3M Strip Caulk. Would that be a good candidate? I haven't used it on anything yet. Can it be formed in a small enough portion to coat the bottom of a bolt head?

I am sure I can come up with something myself but I am trying to do it by the book.

Thanks.....Dave

Kelley W King

• View Profile
Re: Proper type of sealant or seal to use ???
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 12:12:03 PM »
Don,t know if it is correct but Bridgeport has a duct seal compound part # DS 100. In teardowns I have seen what looks to be similar It is like a non hardening putty in 1 pound packs. Can be found at electrical supply houses.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 02:41:17 PM »
Either one would be a suitable candidate, not sure which would be most factory correct.  The blocks you can buy at big box stores or electrical suppliers is a little darker, both can be easily formed to fit.  AMK also sells just the mastic sealing pieces to place under washers or stamped nuts:

http://www.amkproducts.com/Catalog_PDF/165-176.pdf

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 03:54:17 PM »
I am looking for the proper sealant(s) to use in the following area so that water doesn't get where it is not supposed to.......

The bolts that attach the rear bumper brackets to the body. The AIM shows a sealant or cement on the bolts but I don't what it actually is.

The rear side marker light bezel studs where they pass through the quarter panel into the trunk....... The rear sidelights must have been installed at Fisher Body since the install is not shown in the AIM. I have the small gaskets that seal the plastic light housings to the body but it seems like the bezel studs will need something.

And basically anywhere else where a bolt or screw passes through the body where you don't want water to enter.

I have some 3M Strip Caulk. Would that be a good candidate? I haven't used it on anything yet. Can it be formed in a small enough portion to coat the bottom of a bolt head?

I am sure I can come up with something myself but I am trying to do it by the book.

Thanks.....Dave

3M "Strip-Calk" is essentially identical to the "dum-dum" sealer originally used on the fasteners you noted.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 04:55:40 PM »
Thanks for everyone's replies. It's good to know I have something here already that will do the trick.

Dave

anything