Author Topic: New guy, New project ' 67  (Read 68223 times)

MooneyDriver

• View Profile
Re: New guy, New project ' 67
« Reply #135 on: March 23, 2015, 05:36:41 PM »
Haha, thanks, Im trying, the wife is pretty good about giving me time to tinker on the car, but the kid does his best to make sure I dont get enough sleep or have much energy.

When the weather warms up Ill get mroe done to it, its not much fun when your car is 40 degrees :)
'67  in progress

MooneyDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 31, 2015, 05:00:59 PM »
Something I was noticing, before removing the quarter I made the door fit 100% perfect to it (pins and bushings were a little worn so both doors were sagging), the passenger side fit the quarter perfect, and fit the rocker perfect gap wise..

I was checking the driver side for fun, which also fits the quarter perfect, but the rocker gap is not perfect, the quarters have not been replaced, so the factory put one on a little off? Im guessing I need to make it fit the rocker, then make the quarter fit the door, on the driver side when I get to it, right?

Thanks
'67  in progress

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 31, 2015, 05:33:39 PM »
The factory did not make gaps on these cars perfect. I have a 67 that the original quarter was installed so poorly at the factory to the tailpanel it was a joke. I had to cut it apart and do it over because I did not want it to reflect on my work. Not only did it fit badly, the rear of the quarter was defective and was split at the die draw marks. It also had jog in the top near the forward radius of the decklid gutter. The quarter supports that are supposed to be welded to the inner sailpanel/weatherstrip channel never got welded. Survivor cars are not always the prettiest.

MooneyDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 31, 2015, 05:36:47 PM »
Ok, I figured, thank you! I have noticed a few things that I find odd/funny on fit, missed welds, etc. All part of the 'fun'
'67  in progress

MooneyDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 08, 2015, 10:36:02 PM »
ok, found out why my window gap is off, AMD panel is made wrong here too, thinner than factory

Origional GM panel

AMD panel

'67  in progress

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 09, 2015, 12:32:40 AM »
I addressed that narrow ledge in this thread: http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=212160&highlight=67+amd+quarter+panel&page=2 That is not all you will find that needs modifications.

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 09, 2015, 03:04:44 AM »
I addressed that narrow ledge in this thread: http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=212160&highlight=67+amd+quarter+panel&page=2 That is not all you will find that needs modifications.
   I've been hearing that AMD panels are the best on the market, is that not true?
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

MooneyDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 09, 2015, 03:03:30 PM »

I assumed so when I did my research, thats why I bought all AMD parts for my car. That said, if they are the best, Id hate to see the worst! haha.
'67  in progress

MooneyDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 09, 2015, 03:05:55 PM »
I addressed that narrow ledge in this thread: http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=212160&highlight=67+amd+quarter+panel&page=2 That is not all you will find that needs modifications.

Thanks, printing your whole AMD fixing thread off.  Mine seems to be evenly off front to back for the most part.
'67  in progress

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 09, 2015, 04:50:59 PM »
They usually are the best on the market among what is available, and still there are variations in quality. It is common knowledge in the restoration business that reproduction panels require modifications to fit, and stamping inconsistencies are to be expected. Heartbeat City has USA made fenders for $800 each.  For that price I would want a guarantee they are as good as the best assembly line take off.

I've had to throw a day of labor at late stamped NOS fenders because the stampings were so bad.

MooneyDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 09, 2015, 05:27:23 PM »
My new AMD tail panel just arrived, yay!  Hopefully the last body part I need to buy
'67  in progress

MooneyDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 23, 2015, 04:31:23 PM »
So just fiddling with getting the quarter fitting right, seems like it should be tighter fitting here? Rear side window opening

Also getting the drip rail to fit, its definately not as good as factory, the notches are not in the same place, if that matters

'67  in progress