Author Topic: New guy, New project ' 67  (Read 68209 times)

Sauron327

• View Profile
Re: New guy, New project ' 67
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2014, 10:02:48 PM »
because I was told that if you replace the whole Cowl, and move the Trim Tag over to the new one, you need Police/ or State Department official present to witness and document it. 
That only applies to VINs, not TTs. At least in this state because the TT has nothing to do with motor vehicle registration, the VIN does.

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2014, 12:22:29 AM »
because I was told that if you replace the whole Cowl, and move the Trim Tag over to the new one, you need Police/ or State Department official present to witness and document it. 

That only applies to VINs, not TTs. At least in this state because the TT has nothing to do with motor vehicle registration, the VIN does.

But would still loose your partial Vin. #'s.  To me those are important part of the history of the car.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

MooneyDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2014, 12:50:30 AM »
Im not planning to replace either parts that have a tag. :)
'67  in progress

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2014, 02:45:40 PM »

But would still loose your partial Vin. #'s.  To me those are important part of the history of the car.

Understood. But there are times when a part is so rotten that complete replacement is required. Document the repair and save the partial if it's not rotten off.

MooneyDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 03, 2014, 10:14:32 PM »
two full quarters, and a roof just arrived! Still not excited to do these, but excited I have ALL the parts I hopefully need for the car, the cowl piece should be here soon, it shipped today.

Now to read as much as I can about installing these pieces, and finding threads with alot of pictures.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 11:30:07 PM by MooneyDriver »
'67  in progress

MooneyDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2014, 04:57:50 PM »
Started drilling spotwelds for the roof to come off, got the top of the rear window drilled out and loose, next time in there I should be able to get the front drilled out.

'67  in progress

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 10, 2014, 10:34:22 PM »
Roof skin removal procedure: Grind the paint off the A pillar and sail panel then melt the lead out. Bulk drop the whole center of the roof skin. Drill the spotwelds front and rear. Grind the drip rail spotwelds using a 3/16" grinding wheel on your cutoff tool and peel out the remnant. If you need new drip rails disregard this step. Some cut off discs stacked will do but you'll need a 3/16" or 1/4" wheel for dressing welds anyway. Note the location of any molding studs. You'll find they are located near arrows in the channel, repro skins don't have arrows.

MooneyDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2014, 10:57:18 PM »
since Im taking the quarters off, do I need to mess with the lead in the sail panels? Cant just cut it all off?

BTW, whats the best spot weld cutter these days? Im using the brooch style, as thats all Ive ever used, but curious.
'67  in progress

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 10, 2014, 11:11:17 PM »
 The quarter sails are welded to the inner structure so the lead has to go. Your Rotobroach bit is fine, the cheap double ended Balir ones are junk. I primarily use the drill bit style as shown in the link. I don't buy them there, I get them at my jobber. http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/spot-weld-cutters-c-606.aspx?pagenum=2

MooneyDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2014, 11:18:08 PM »
sounds good, thanks.
'67  in progress

MooneyDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2014, 02:03:54 PM »
Pulled the 327 so its out of the way, got the windshield spot welds drilled out, and the lead melted out of the seams..

only other numbers I found on it

If I can get some time today Im hoping to get the roof off.
'67  in progress

MooneyDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 23, 2014, 05:54:04 PM »
Roofs off, I cut the tops of the quarters off and around the drip rails to get all that out of the way and cleaned up, made measurements, and notes on what I needed, put new pins and bushings in the doors and got them lining up to the quarters perfectly, got the trunk lined up and gapped right, wire brushed the surface rust off the roof structures, pretty much ready to cut the passenger quarter off.

Someone got happy with the drill here for some reason

'67  in progress

MooneyDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2014, 12:04:17 AM »
one thing Im not looking forward to, is drilling out the spots in the trunk gasket lip, why cant they simply make that part of the quarters and other pieces?

I see AMD makes the pieces, whats the big top one? Looks odd...

http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto-Metal-Direct/106/825-3567-S/10002/-1
'67  in progress

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 25, 2014, 05:48:02 AM »
MooneyDriver;  if you're replacing the 1/4's you need to read this link.  I was fortunate and was right at that stage of restoration when this post came up.

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=8653.0
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

MooneyDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 25, 2014, 05:57:02 AM »
cool, Ill have to see if mine has them or not from the factory.
'67  in progress