Author Topic: New guy, New project ' 67  (Read 68208 times)

Sauron327

• View Profile
Re: New guy, New project ' 67
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2014, 10:22:13 PM »
Hope you bought AMD quarters.

MooneyDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2014, 10:23:31 PM »
Everything is AMD only.

Except for the tail piece, and the dash, and the front header, only because it came with them.
'67  in progress

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2014, 10:26:36 PM »
Ill get better pics of that for you today
I see what looked like blackout paint is actually dirt. Looks like the wiper motor hole covered explanation looks to be valid so far.
What is that silver tag on the motor head?

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

MooneyDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2014, 10:29:40 PM »
What is that silver tag on the motor head?

Mike

Im guessing its from whoever rebuilt the engine, I was told its not the origional, but seems the numbers date it in the ballpark, what would the origional block have for numbers?

Anyone know what the pin welding tool is actually called? Having trouble finding it.
'67  in progress

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2014, 10:35:51 PM »
Everything is AMD only.

Except for the tail piece, and the dash, and the front header, only because it came with them.

If you look at that AMD link I posted, note the differences between other tailpanels and the AMD panel when compared to GM.

MooneyDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2014, 10:37:08 PM »
Everything is AMD only.

If you look at that AMD link I posted, note the differences between other tailpanels and the AMD panel when compared to GM.
Thanks, yep, seen the thread.
'67  in progress

MooneyDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2014, 06:34:11 PM »
question, looking at the dash/cowl panels that I need, the top pieces that are rusted on my car, whats it called exactly? I see parts listed for an upper, and lower cowl panels, they show some same pictures, its confusing... is this the part I need?

http://www.autometaldirect.com/x-parts-67-camaro-firebird-lower-cowl-panel-p-3770.html

http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto-Metal-Direct/106/X360-3567/10002/-1

I need this so I can cut the back two parts off to weld into my dash/firewall area... Seems alot easier than patching and trying to match the curve of it all..

Once I figure this out, I have my finger on the trigger for the roof, both full quarters, and above part
'67  in progress

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2014, 02:28:13 AM »
Anyone know what the pin welding tool is actually called? Having trouble finding it.
[/quote]

Look in Eastwood's catalog. You can get a cheaper stud welder through Northern or Harbor Freight, but Eastwood has the pins and the collet. The moulding studs need to welded, don't use screws.

Regards -
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

MooneyDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2014, 05:23:30 AM »
I have a high quality stud gun from my autobody days, but never done these little things, Thanks!

Here is the numbers on the front of my block, what is this thing?

FI003S

'67  in progress

MooneyDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2014, 06:40:39 PM »
got quiet out there!

Trying to figure out how to ship the quarter skins back, looks like that was a few hundred dollar mistake ordering them, cant find a cost effective way to return them to Jegs, and since it has to go freight, they leave it up to me to figure out how to get them there... trucking quotes are over 4-500, on $160 worth of parts...  Being on a budget, Im kind of depressed about that,  Guess Ill have to suck it up and hang onto them until I can figure out how to sell them locally, anyone needs a pair to hang in a man cave or something?

Also still overthinking the cowl top piece, thought about buying a cheap dash top and cutting it up as it should have the right curve to it, have to think on that one, $200 vs $60 and a bunch of fab work....  Probably just buy that upper/lower cowl piece, once I figure out if its the right part.  sigh
'67  in progress

MooneyDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2014, 05:02:18 PM »
ok, Ive put it off long enough, just hit submit on the order for AMD full quarters, roof, cowl piece I had above, panel in front of trunk between quarters..... Hopefully final sheetmetal order for me.
'67  in progress

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2014, 07:05:47 PM »
Sorry Mooney, I haven't been following this lately.  I ran into a BIG surprise on the top of my Cowl right under the lower edge of Windshield when restoring my car.  It still had the original Windshield (cracked)in the car, so assumed it had never been taken out  Mostly because I had heard (somewhere) that 9 times out of 10 these old Windshields will crack when you remove them.  Anyhow, someone had removed the Windshield and done body work (filler) under the lower edge of the Windshield.  They did a good job, as it wasn't noticeable, until you ground into it.  BUT, they filled over rust.  I'm gonna post a couple pics..  I did not replace the Whole Cowl, because I was told that if you replace the whole Cowl, and move the Trim Tag over to the new one, you need Police/ or State Department official present to witness and document it.  Plus the fact you are going to loose your partial Vin #s.  There are 3 layers of metal all come together right in that area.  I replaced the top Dash, and the bottom layer of the 3 was still pretty solid.  We cleaned that up as best we could and treated it with Rust Converter.  Then we pieced in what was missing of the back edge of the top of the cowl.  I hope these pics. give you some idea what we did.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 08:02:02 PM by MyRed67 »
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2014, 08:25:37 PM »
Here's pics. of the body work finished, ( should be able to tell there is very little filler"Dyna-glass") and a pic. of it all primed.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

MooneyDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2014, 08:31:57 PM »
yes, going to kinda do like you did, maybe a little different, planning to cut the top of the cowl piece off behind the wiper arms and replace it with new from the part I ordered.  Initially I was going to fab it up, but just too many curves there to mess with.

Thanks!
'67  in progress

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2014, 09:00:02 PM »
yes, going to kinda do like you did, maybe a little different, planning to cut the top of the cowl piece off behind the wiper arms and replace it with new from the part I ordered.  Initially I was going to fab it up, but just too many curves there to mess with.

Thanks!
Actually if you look closely you will see that those ridges around the wipers end about 3 in. from the back edge of the top of the Cowl panel.  Yes the back edge is curved but it is flat.  We did that whole back edge in about 4 sections.  We used poster board to make templates to get the curve right.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 09:23:49 PM by MyRed67 »
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Mike C.    NW - Illinois