Author Topic: New guy, New project ' 67  (Read 68443 times)

MooneyDriver

• View Profile
New guy, New project ' 67
« on: September 30, 2014, 03:39:35 PM »
Checking in! A few weeks ago I bought my second GM vehicle ever, and its a 1967 Camaro, pretty nice shape, Im 4th owner, been on the west coast all its life, 327, th350, minimal rust, been painted once, a very long time ago it looks.  Guy I got it from drove it into his garage and took it apart, and never did anything but buy parts for it.  Im pretty excited.  Quarters will be here any day, it already had a cowl hood, new decklid, new dash piece, new rear back panel, new front upper piece, battery tray..

Ive order a new radiator core support, drip rails, quarter skins, front chin spoiler.. Probably end up buying a new roof to fix the drip rails correctly :/ Still needs the interior and a few misc pieces, but overall a really nice project.  I have cut the dash out, just need to repair the cowl top and weld the dash top back in, a couple rust spots in the fenders, not alot else wrong that I can find.  It really is in decent shape for its age.

So, HI!

'67  in progress

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Re: New guy, New project ' 67
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 04:06:12 PM »
Welcome to CRG!   Seems you have a pretty nice project on your hands..  :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

MooneyDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 04:08:32 PM »
Thanks! I did autobody for 4 years, so hopefully I wont have too many questions, but Im sure Ill have some.  Hoping to get as much done as possible before it gets too cold, heat in the shop is poor at best, so we will see how much I get done before its too cold to work on it!  That and my 3mo old son takes alot of my time.
'67  in progress

VINCE Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 07:42:05 PM »
Hi MooneyDriver what part of Washington State do you live ? and did you buy the car in Oregon?
" He who knows naught, knows not that he knows naught"  It's not you...  It's just the way my brain is wired.

MooneyDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 07:52:17 PM »
Lynden, I got it about 20 miles from here in Bow, but maybe a past owner was?
'67  in progress

VINCE Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 08:26:43 PM »
Yes up by the B.C. boader, I'm at the other end of I-5 in S.W. WA. down by Portland, Oregon. The tax free State (Sales tax) I save alot of $ on car parts. Are you planning to put bumper guards on the 67? I have a original set, rechromed, all hardwear, new rubber.
" He who knows naught, knows not that he knows naught"  It's not you...  It's just the way my brain is wired.

MooneyDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 08:28:32 PM »
Im not sure Im going to put a front bumper on, the rear has guards.   Any other parts?

My quarters are out for delivery, should see them in an hour or two!
'67  in progress

VINCE Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 08:44:09 PM »
Lower front valance, most of what I have is for 69 Chevelle .

MooneyDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 08:47:39 PM »
already have that, thanks though!

Couple more pics

origional paint in the jams

even the stock jack

Bunch of parts (chin spoiler, core support, drip rails, both outer rear wheel tubs

'67  in progress

VINCE Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 09:32:52 PM »
124377L00824, The 824th camaro made that year?

MooneyDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 09:57:34 PM »
124377L00824, The 824th camaro made that year?

Is that bad?

tag:

'67  in progress

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 11:32:27 PM »
Nice project & welcome.  Bolero Red, black guts, 327ci, M35 coded trans (turbo 350) with console, Z21 trim package.  Original subframe too.  I.E. no access holes in the front horns.  Hard to tell from the photos but looks like a solid car.  Whats the plans on the resto?   I would put it back stock or a "day 2 setup" and make it a great little cruiser.  Regardless build it how you want & enjoy it..!!.

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 12:44:22 AM »
Ive order quarter skins,

In my opinion and as someone with a couple decades of experience, full quarters are easier and a superior repair compared to skins. I'd suggest AMD qrts unless you prefer early stamped NOS tin. Here is a thread on AMD quarters with comparisons to GM and other repro tin. http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=212160&highlight=67+amd+quarter+panels

MooneyDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 12:46:10 AM »
its origionally coded a turbo 350 with a console?  It has the column shifter and only a L and D, so I assumed powerglide, but it def has a TH350 in it.

Plans are to make it a driver, not a trailer queen, my brother has a '57 chevy, so we can do some car shows and go cruising.  Its a super solid car, zero rust in the doors, rockers, floor and trunk pans. Just the usual in the fenders, dash, rear lower window channel edges, wheel lip.

Got my quarter skins today! pretty excited! I didnt go with the full quarters because of cost, and didnt want to have to mess with resetting gaps and all that trouble I read about all the time. In my mind I guess this seemed to be the easiest way. Although in hindsight, I kinda need the very tops of the quarters at the sail panel area, the drip rail rust got them a little bit. :(   But every part I bought has been AMD so far.

Also, the dash rust was pretty good, whats the top cowl piece called? Ill upload pics tomorrow.

Thanks!
'67  in progress

MooneyDriver

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 12:57:56 AM »
Wife and I were initially thinking of grey with black stripes, but being it was origional red, we found this one, and are thinking this looks pretty nice!

backend needs a little love, car did come with a new back piece NIB yet. Also have a rear spoiler

Here is some of the dash rust :( I cut the dosh top off saturday, car came with a new one of those too, but think I may need the top cowl piece? Or should I weld strips to rebuild what was there?

'67  in progress

anything