Author Topic: New quarters on my 68  (Read 2459 times)

Baconcks

• View Profile
New quarters on my 68
« on: September 21, 2014, 03:26:43 AM »
Big dumb and happy here , I'm going to install new quarters on my RS/SS Big block. I've taken it off the rotisserie and supported it at the front subframe ,and the rear axle mounts. (6 location) I'm going to rebuild the hinges on my doors. I have a box tubing cage installed to keep the body from warping while I installed the roof structure , floor,etc. I'll cut that out and install the doors and get them to fit the existing quarters with good tolerances . Then remove the existing quarters and install the new one to fit the doors ,trunk gutter , sail panel. 80 hrs later I'm done. Please let me if my process has any flaws or if you have tips on ? Thanks in advance , build on! :)

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
Re: New quarters on my 68
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 04:43:36 AM »
If your door hinges haven't been loosened from the doors yet then wait until you have the quarters installed they are indexed at the factory to quarter profile. Using them to align the quarters will theoretically enable you to set them back to where they were originally.  

Sauron did a tutorial here or on camaros.net regarding the gaps and rear lip profiles you may want to read through that.
Correct gapping reproduction metal is frustrating at best, and impossible if you go in thinking you are going to achieve perfect show gaps profiles etc. without cutting and adding thin strips.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

anything