Author Topic: 67, front bumper fit problems  (Read 5557 times)

paulmanta

• View Profile
67, front bumper fit problems
« on: September 14, 2014, 04:52:51 PM »
Had another day in the workshop today and I trial fitted the used front bumper that I bought a while ago.

Very glad I did try it on before it went off for chrome because it does not fit, its not even close.

I can fit one side bolt in and then try to get the other side but the bumper seems to have too shallow a "V" and the side that I am trying to fit to the mount is still about 6 to 8 inches away but the middle is touching the front lower valance.

I have looked at loads of pictures of 67 Camaro front bumpers online since coming back home and I am totally stuck as to why this one does not fit because it looks like what I have here is a 67, its not had a bump or been bent.

Is there a big difference between 67/68/69 bumpers ? Or perhaps I have something else !

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
Re: 67, front bumper fit problems
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 06:59:04 PM »

paulmanta

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 07:04:51 PM »
Hi, Yup, read that, it explained the difference with mounting holes but not the difference with the "V" of the bumper being wrong.

I will pop a pic up tomorrow, its very obvious something is not right.

paulmanta

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 02:01:28 PM »
Here are a couple of pictures.

The holes in the bumper indicate its a 68 but its does not line up at all, I would imagine the gap between the bumper and panel should be parallel but I don't know because this car never had a bumper fitted when I bought it, I have had to buy the bumper and all mounts to put it back on.  Bumper was second hand, inner mounts are second hand, outer are Repro.

If you just hold the bumper up to the front of the car its obvious the "V" is not right, its too shallow.

with the bumper lined up parallel on the drivers side and located with the drivers end bolt it sticks out on the passengers side.

If you try to get the passengers side end bolt in the bumper touches the middle of the front panel long before you get anywhere near the bolt and hole lining up.

Its not twisted or bent that I can see and there are no scuffs on it to show any impact.

Mystery or different car's bumper ?

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 02:47:54 PM »
Have you tried another bumper?

That bumper looks like it sits too far away on the drivers side as well.. 

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 04:30:52 PM »
Just checked the lower header to bumper fit and angles are very close. Actually the header touches on the end with a small gap in the center, just the opposite of what you have.
You may want to install the hood latch support just to make sure the lower header is in the correct position.
Looks like some big gouges on the right upper of your bumper, could explain the problem.
Bob

paulmanta

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 05:36:44 PM »
Hi Bob and Darrell,

The next step now is going to be to put the hood latch and support back into the mix and see if that has an effect, I think it wont because the whole lot was quite easy to remove and nothing sprung back or out or anything.

The gouge looking thing in the picture is just an effect of my strip lights,  there are not marks or scuffs that could have caused it to be this badly out of shape.

Weird thing is that I thought maybe it was the centre had become squashed so the "V" had flattened out but if I try to bend the bumper inwards I can't move it,  the steel is  too thick and I am not strong enough.  If I hold the bumper to the car the ends look like they are turned at the right angle so If I increase the "V" the ends will point in a bit.

Main problem is I live in England and there are no other Camaros for hundreds of miles, I bet there are only a handful in England in total !

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 07:00:53 PM »
If you take the lower header off, will all the bolts fit in their proper holes? Upper bolts (4) only.
Bob

paulmanta

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 07:30:15 PM »
Hi Bob,  well, interesting....

Yes, but only the outer ones, the inner ones are too far forward but this is only using measurements because the actual chassis is off the car and this front sheet metal assembly is actually on a jig so I can paint the shuts, gaps and reverse side of panels off the car and then drop it all on the chassis/rest of car later and then paint the whole thing as one unit.

I am coming to the conclusion the bumper has been bent so the "V" is less than it ought to be.  Tomorrow I am going to try and bend it back using the big press and some wedge shaped woods.

If I ruin it then I will buy another and I might chop this one up into 1/4 bumpers for a hot rod or something.

anything