Author Topic: Bolt ID, 67.  (Read 3531 times)

paulmanta

• View Profile
Bolt ID, 67.
« on: September 13, 2014, 05:52:36 PM »
HI Folks,

I just dropped the little tray I have been storing all the nuts and bolts from my 67 Camaro restoration, its ok for the most part I have remembered where they go and have put the labels back where they go but I have 12 bolts that I am unsure of.

I have grouped them into two sixes that match, I think 6 are for the rear spring brackets that bolt up to the floor using J nuts but I don't know what the other 6 are for.

Can anyone help me ID them please ?

Pic 1:

Pic 2:

68camaroz28

• View Profile
Re: Bolt ID, 67.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 07:05:19 PM »
The first 6 appear to be for the leaf spring bracket and you can purchase new ones from AMK that are correct since it appears yours need replaced. The second picture are not screws originally part of your 67 IMO since the screw threading goes out to the very end which is a later design which started in the early 70's.
Also, as side note! Be careful of repro j-nuts as they are soft and strip out under torque or at least many of us have had issues with that in the past. I purchased mine from GM a couple years ago but not sure if they are still available.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

paulmanta

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 07:10:05 PM »
Thanks for the reply, you confirmed what I thought about the first 6, they are for the leaf spring bracket.

The second picture is my mystery, they came off the car, I have cleaned them and put them in the tray but I cant remember where they went.  I have not mixed the bolts up with any other cars here, I am sure of this because here in England everything is metric !

The second pic seems to show a self tapping type of bolt.  I am totally puzzled !  Even more so because I have already restored them so they go somewhere.

Thanks for the note about repro J  nuts, I have 5 of the original ones in good condition but one that broke when I was undoing the bolts, I might try to get another GM one rather than risk a new soft one.

The bolts in the top pic look worse in the pic than in real life, the threads are all great and I am going to blast and tumble them then bung them in the Parkerizing dip and they will live again.

Paul.

262jp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 03:10:31 AM »
The pointed sheet metal screws were used on first gen Camaros in lots of places. To name a few places on the core support.... windshield washer reservoir,horn relay,voltage regulator and headlight ground wires. Other places depending on the head size.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 04:24:48 AM by 262jp »

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 02:44:59 PM »
I've never seen the bolts in the bottom photo (3/8" thread size, 9/16" hex head, no washer face, black phosphate) used ANYWHERE on a 1st-Gen Camaro; they look like hardware store lag bolts that have been plated black.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

paulmanta

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 05:48:52 PM »
Hi John,

I think I found the place they went, it was a pair of horrible exhaust muffler brackets that were screwed into the rear chassis legs.  The bolts in the second pic fit perfectly.  I cleaned them up by running them through my tumbler with a load of others and then they got put through my Parkerizing dip with all the rest, that's why they are clean and plated black !

They wont be going back on.

anything