Author Topic: ebay ad for a big block Z11 car....  (Read 9272 times)

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
ebay ad for a big block Z11 car....
« on: September 05, 2014, 05:41:34 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171447226749?_trksid=p11010.c100135.m2768&_trkparms=aid%3D222006%26algo%3DSIC.FITP%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140122141244%26meid%3Daf8004ab08af4f779607e9544e09cea5%26pid%3D100135%26prg%3D20140122141244%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D151396882349/?ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:1120

Just looked quickly at this one..  For Sale (NO reserve), supposed 2 owner car with non-original engine (but original Muncie, etc)..
Its got some paint chips and scuffs, but I liked it.. (IMO..  chips and scuffs show 'character' for a driven car.. ie. that it IS driven).. :)  

I'm just curious what the Z11 gurus on here think about this one?
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Kelley W King

• View Profile
Re: ebay ad for a big block Z11 car....
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 06:29:03 PM »
If it was not so far away I would go look. No gauges, center fuel gauge. reminds me of my Z.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 06:35:29 PM »
VIN: 124679N634620
Fisher body number: NOR309446

Paul

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 07:05:24 PM »
Shouldn't it have quarter louvers? It' an RS/SS correct?
Jimmy V.

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 07:10:48 PM »
Shouldn't it have quarter louvers?

Yup, rocker panel moldings are missing too.

Paul

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 03:46:45 AM »
Shouldn't it have quarter louvers? It' an RS/SS correct?
Shouldn't it have quarter louvers?

Yup, rocker panel moldings are missing too.

Paul
X2 ... and it's all original sheet metal   ???   But he'll give you the original motor "IF" he ever get's it ...hmmm !  Brokers...lol
Darrell
'69 Camaro Z/28: 03B NOR X77 Dusk Blue, white top, all orig, Under construction
'69 Firebird all original 350 all power w/ac
'70 Plymouth Superbird: One owner, Limelight green, 45K miles, all original U code

Z11 Maniac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 04:12:55 AM »
 ::) Watch out for this car its not two owners. I owned it once and I live in Connecticut. Its far from rust free look under the gas tank. Why no spare tire hold down?  I hope someone fixed the wiring monster that is running loose in it (horn never worked). Its gauges are changed from when I had it. I believe its a converted 350 car but who am I to say? oh yeah... D'OH
By the looks of it the quarters were replaced which makes sense as they were rusted through at one time. My advice pass unless you really want a converted 350 car. A broker from Vegas, go figure... :o

Z11 Maniac

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 07:05:05 PM »
I got an email from a guy that confirms this is a SMALL block car and the engine was added after he sold it. Supposedly it still had wiring and rust issues  but for the price an ok driver. It chaps my hide that the owner claims that this is a 2 owner California car when clearly its not because the car was delivered to Maine. But hey, if you want to drive it like it is, go for it. Just smash the sellers spun illusion and realize what you are buying...

Too bad we cant get the word out to the sucker that is going to pay waaaay too much to this jackass broker... Is it me or do the bids on eBay look manipulated on this auction. Like he has his friends bidding the car up... eBay should crack down but they never will

Caveat Emptor my friends...

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 08:45:23 PM »

... Is it me or do the bids on eBay look manipulated on this auction. Like he has his friends bidding the car up... eBay should crack down but they never will

I believe many of these eBay auctions have bogus bidders to jack the price up.
eBay will not crack down unless there a a blatant violation. In the end the senior management who manage eBay have to show a profit to their share holders in order to get their own stock options and bonuses otherwise major share owners like Carl Icon will begin to influence them (like with so many corporations people like him dealt with) so I'm sure they will tolerate certain practices as long as it isn't illegal, that you and I find not exactly kosher.

Mike
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 10:10:19 PM by Mike S »
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 02:28:15 PM »

... Is it me or do the bids on eBay look manipulated on this auction. Like he has his friends bidding the car up... eBay should crack down but they never will

I believe many of these eBay auctions have bogus bidders to jack the price up.
eBay will not crack down unless there a a blatant violation. In the end the senior management who manage eBay have to show a profit to their share holders in order to get their own stock options and bonuses otherwise major share owners like Carl Icon will begin to influence them (like with so many corporations people like him dealt with) so I'm sure they will tolerate certain practices as long as it isn't illegal, that you and I find not exactly kosher.

Mike

eBay gets 10,000 auctions per hour, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week; how many people do you suppose you'd have to hire to check out every new auction before they were posted?  Why does everything become an industrial conspiracy theory?  :-(

P.S. It's Icahn, not Icon.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 01:57:20 AM »
  OK...so I spelled it wrong from memory. You got the idea though. I, along with many colleagues, have been part of the fallout from Ichan's past corporate dealings.
As for conspiracy theory....without going into specifics for legality reasons, believe me when I say there have been many questionable acts done by senior management with companies  I had dealing with that required legal investigation due to lawsuits brought about from government agencies. I know, I have been personally involved with collection of the eDiscovery data. And the last company I worked at did settle the lawsuits by forking out millions in penalties. So yes, some times there are business practices that are done along the fine line between legal and non-legal when a lot of potential money is at stake to be made, conspiracy or not.
  One last thing...my comments about the bogus bidders are more on the line with the sellers and not eBay management.

OK.....work aside.....now I'm back to the regularly scheduled Camaro topics. ;)

Mike
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 02:26:53 AM by Mike S »
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

69 Zee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 02:22:35 AM »
I got an email from a guy that confirms this is a SMALL block car and the engine was added after he sold it. Supposedly it still had wiring and rust issues  but for the price an ok driver. It chaps my hide that the owner claims that this is a 2 owner California car when clearly its not because the car was delivered to Maine. But hey, if you want to drive it like it is, go for it. Just smash the sellers spun illusion and realize what you are buying...

Too bad we cant get the word out to the sucker that is going to pay waaaay too much to this jackass broker... Is it me or do the bids on eBay look manipulated on this auction. Like he has his friends bidding the car up... eBay should crack down but they never will

So as thought.. No original 396 motor with the 2nd owner of "This west coast only car"    ;)
Darrell
'69 Camaro Z/28: 03B NOR X77 Dusk Blue, white top, all orig, Under construction
'69 Firebird all original 350 all power w/ac
'70 Plymouth Superbird: One owner, Limelight green, 45K miles, all original U code

Z11 Maniac

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 03:38:21 AM »
When you look at the rocker panel close up pictures there seems to be some "rust" at the bottom which I suspect may be more sinister underneath. The passenger door and fender aren't aligned and by the looks of the paint chip, the paint is pretty thick and chips easily,  but that can be fixed. It looks like someone patched the trunk and hid it with all that speckle paint. The parking brake pull is bent and in the video it didn't look like the cowl induction was working. He never mentions the rear end or the gearing, Some of the pictures look deliberately strategic especially on the interior. The way he talks about the previous owner and the motor most likely means you might as well write it off because he doesn't have it. With the other lies it sounds like this guy fabricated a fairytale story around the car.

I agree about the eBay comments, they dont give a rats ass, HOWEVER, Seller protection may come in handy once the new owner gets a look at this "two owner" California car owned by a little old lady in Pasadena. :-)

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 07:58:42 PM »
If they were original quarter panels, the holes for the louvers would be present.  Same for the lower rocker molding mounting holes. Where are these?  I doubt someone would bondo over them or cover them up for any reason.  Thus, I believe these panels were replaced.  Otherwise, the holes would be there.   The door sag plates are missing in the door jambs.  The radio wiring is a disaster and could he not take a second to re-bend the parking brake lever?  Is that gold paint under the white paint on the fender indicating a fender swap?   It also looks like the rear springs have been replaced as well as the gas tank and fuel line.  All of this says to me that this car is NOT in any way "Rust Free" as the seller claims.  As for the story of the missing engine....REALLY?  Who removes an all original big block 396 and puts it in their garage and can't seem to find it?  My garage is pretty messy, but I bet I could find a big block engine easily.  And who buys a car of this caliber with the promise that they will get a free numbers matching engine, but doesn't pursue it and do everything they can to get it?  That would be priority one if I bought this car from a man with a messy garage.  I can assure whoever buys this on ebay, that they should  not hold their breath waiting for the numbers matching 396 to show up any time soon. 

It's not so much the issue with the car, it's they lying and covering up that scares me the most.  State it's a small block conversion, and that there was some rust, but panels were replaced, and that would be a fine start to a good transaction.  This nonsense of "Rust Free", "Second Owner", "Orig Engine if I can find it" makes this deal sour in my opinion.

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 08:32:29 PM »
If they were original quarter panels, the holes for the louvers would be present. 

Exactly!
Jimmy V.

anything