Author Topic: body parts, am i over looking anything.. also...  (Read 7759 times)

KERR

• View Profile
body parts, am i over looking anything.. also...
« on: September 04, 2014, 03:55:10 PM »
So i need a lot of body parts....    Here are a few photos,  let me know if ive missed anything.

Also "belairbobs".com   anyone know what body parts they use,   they have a monster kit,   Listed for $3K   I emailed them and ask about the kit.   He said that the body parts are not AMD, but fit just as good, they are not as thick...  with out the doors and hood, and in the roof skin, roof brace, and inner front fender it would be 2699...    This seems way to cheap.   I looked on AMD and it came out to a lot more,  i want to say it $4K ish...   From everything on here ive read paying the extra for amd stuff is worth it..    here is the link to there kit,   http://www.belairbobs.com/inc/sdetail/236/1457

few quick shots,  and yes the entire front clip,

it was kinda pretty at one time,   this is the "side tank" i think is what you called it attached to the fire wall.   Need both of them :(

Fire wall and dash... shot, 

ac thing, 

inside dash / fire wall

quick shot of the drivers side floor,   it looked better on the phone than on here lol...  anyway the seam? that the green wire is touching,  it looks like a replacedment floor that they did a lazy job of fixing

crap photo as well,   but inside 1/4 panel,  where the rear window rolls down.  Just looks odd to me.

1/4

Crap pict too,    This is the bottom of where the door bolts up!   both side like that,  once worse than other..

frame and stuff look good for here,

joesauer

• View Profile
Re: body parts, am i over looking anything.. also...
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 04:58:32 PM »
Are you going to do panel repairs, welding, panel/etc replacement yourself?  If not the labor costs may get you.  Have you considered a complete body shell replacement for 13-14K?

KERR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 07:59:28 PM »
oh i cant do it my self...  i have no clue how to weld.

A guy that works for us his brother owns a huge body shop,  about 60 employees,   anyway he restores cars on the side,  so im waiting to see what he has to say on what labor will cost..   From what ive seen i need about $4-5K in body parts...  so unless labor cost $8K it would be cheaper..   those bodies are $14K arnt they?

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 10:47:46 PM »
Give Craigslist, Cleveland OH. a try. Seems to be Camaro Central around here, may be you can find some stuff.....Personally....I think you might be better off going to Racing Junk and picking up a nice roller that saw no street time...Plenty of guys who do this for a living on this site ,they can tell you what I paid to have a car done that basically needed 0 body work, with me helping ,friend price. And...paints only as good as what your covering, if you know what you are looking at. I'm not posting ,but it was very much in line. None the less ,not cheap. Booth time ,materials all cost. Competing against insurance jobs ,the way it's always been. I'm pretty much going to end..good luck.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 11:05:28 PM »
In the mid 80's I didn't know squat when it came to welding and replacing car body panels and things like that. I met a guy about 20 minutes from me that is pretty much the go to body and paint man with a waiting list of 5 years or more on the DELMARVA peninsula that let me work for him for about 4 years and learned what I needed to do everything. His help taught me to do frame offs and frame on jobs and everything in between except paint. I don't mess with it anymore due to my own health issues, and boy is it hard work but it was fun to learn. With insurance being the way it is, most shops probably won't let you do your own work but you can always ask if there is a way to help.
GaryC

'UNRESTORED' 1969 Cortez Silver Z28 X33 D80

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 02:22:01 AM »
When you're paying for 2 or 3 guys, week after week, month after month..    labor cost can really mount up...
IMO..   that body is not worth repairing...  there are better alternatives.
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 09:52:30 AM »
racingjunk.com        great site!
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

KERR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 01:38:25 PM »
No its not,  the only thing that is in good shape the trunk floor pan..       i guess the main question / answer will depend on labor cost..  then look and see what the difference is in the dynacorn body... 

Im sorta at a stand still now..   need to pull motor and trans but i dont have engine hoist,  also cant find my engine stand...  i hate it when let someone use something and they dont bring it back! 

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 01:49:07 PM »
check out what Jano said..  re the 'racing junk' site.  If you could find a decent body, minus drive train, trim, etc..    all the good parts from your car should move right over... and you'd be in a GM body.. and you and your son would have a good car to work with, and still lots to do, but much less than what you have now with your very rusty body... 
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

67rs327

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 10:05:18 PM »
Suggestion if you are in no rush...
I'm knee deep in the restoration of my '67 L30/M20 and I'm no welder either. I needed to address some rust issues around the shock towers and inner wheel arches  so I visted a few local body shops (the large insurance based operations - not small resto shops) and explained my situation. Some were not interested at all but a couple were.  For the one I ended up going  with I was able to negotiate a reduced hourley rate for the repairs. All told me up front that its very hard to estimate these jobs because you never know what you are going to find (as you well know!)  They were also fine with me ordering the parts (keep in mind these shops work off  very defined insurance lists for prep/paint/etc) - so they were glad to not have to flip though the internet looking for parts not in their insurance data base.
Now the down side. The agreement was they would use the job as "filler work".That means no defined completion date (and no nagging)  Their work to date has been great.  I've been checking in every few weeks and taking pictures along the way - but they've had the car for >2  months for what would probaly take 1-2 weeks if they were totally focused. The other concern I'm sure your're thinking is quality.  Its been great as I've had as many as 5 shop tech's involved.  These guys daily job is really just unbolting and rebolting new parts - but at some time they've all done restoration work so the combined experience has really been a benefit.
Your situation is MUCH more extensive and I'm not sure if anyone would take it on - but you never know. The final item I'll mention is because the shop is doing  a little at a time  - I'm very aware of the $$$ to date and can just stop - so I can adjust my plan (and budget) and not end up with a car thats in a million  pieces with jobs half done and beyond my abilites to put back together. Good luck!
1967rs L30/M20 Bolero Red - LOS 11A.
Chris - New Hampshire.

KERR

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 01:07:11 PM »
Yea  ive looked on racing junk, seen a few but none that are a grate to deal.  problem with racing junk is that get side tracked and go looking at the race motors lol.

I have decided to put this back stock though,  well with a 6 speed manual.