Author Topic: Screen under cowl vent holes ???  (Read 4715 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Screen under cowl vent holes ???
« on: September 03, 2014, 02:44:25 AM »
Before my cowl vent is re-installed, I am thinking about installing some sort of screening over the bottom of the vent holes to keep debris from getting down in the rockers and clogging them up.

Has anyone ever done this and if so, what kind of screening did you use and how did you attach it?

I know someone is going to say, if you keep it an a garage and don't get it wet, you don't have to worry about it but I would rather "have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it."

Here is a photo of my rocker panel before my restoration started. It was packed solid inside with dirt and debris. I don't ever want to see that again.

Thanks.......Dave

HawkX66

• View Profile
Re: Screen under cowl vent holes ???
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 11:05:55 AM »
Not a bad idea if you plan on driving it that much and parking under trees, but your rocker was probably packed from years of winter driving etc and because not much thought was put into where it was parked. Are you planning on doing that? Just a thought.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Z23 711 U17 Hugger Orange
Semper Fi!

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 07:23:20 PM »
You could always locate an A or B body Pontiac and get one of those wire mesh screens that are on them going across the top of the cowl and TIG or MIG it in a few spots to snug it up. I had several when I had my 69 Judge in my Pontiac days, so look for something from a GTO or Lemans. Should work well keeping leaves out. If you use a house window type screening you may end up getting clogged up and creating another problem up top. I'm with Hawk, where will you leave it parked when your NOT driving it and will you be driving it in bad weather where debris will get packed back in where you don't want it.   
GaryC

'UNRESTORED' 1969 Cortez Silver Z28 X33 D80

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 07:34:01 PM »
Thanks for the tip on the Pontiac screen.

I am planning on babying the car for the most part. I am just being cautious.

The circled area in the picture below is where I was considering adding a screen. Something that would let water and air through and keep everythng else out.

Dave

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 08:02:07 PM »
Thanks for the tip on the Pontiac screen.

I am planning on babying the car for the most part. I am just being cautious.

The circled area in the picture below is where I was considering adding a screen. Something that would let water and air through and keep everythng else out.

Dave

Yeah, that screening would work perfect. Just cut to fit and leave just enough to tap down around the edge with a body hammer and tack it on. The squares are probably 1/4 square or a little larger, I don't think it would look too obnoxious. This is what came on 70's and later I think, it's plastic but 68 and 69's had metal you can trim up. The pic shows the size of the squares pretty accurate so you can decide.
GaryC

'UNRESTORED' 1969 Cortez Silver Z28 X33 D80

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 12:45:48 AM »
Look around a salvage yard. I am sure there are several late model candidates. Most will be plastic- use epoxy like JB weld. My thought is that leaves and S**t will get wedged between screen and vent and cause constant problems cleaning out area.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 02:27:27 PM »
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the responses and all the great ideas.

I probabaly thought about this way too late. My cowl vent grill is all ready to have color sprayed on so it's too late for welding any connections. If I did do anything, it would have to be done with adhesive.

I tried playing with a little piece of black aluminum window screening on a spare cowl vent grill at home and it looks pretty obvious. Too obvious! But it wasn't installed on the car and had some light coming through from the back. Maybe installed on the car with no light coming from behind, it will look different.

I will try it for real at the shop where the car is next week and go from there. If it stands out like a sore thumb, I'll proabably scrap the idea. I was hoping I could do it without it being really noticeable. Probably, 99.99% of the Camaros out there don't have something like this and fair OK.

Thanks.....Dave

anything