Author Topic: starter soleniod wire protector ????  (Read 7707 times)

Tinkerr

• View Profile
starter soleniod wire protector ????
« on: June 27, 2006, 07:24:50 PM »
I'm putting the finishing touches on the motor and trans(396/325 turbo400)before setting it in the subframe. The ? is I have a 7" long curved tube with mounting tabs on each end that I believe the starter soleniod wires go through and mounts on the bell housing bolts, but I can't figure out how and I've been studying it awhile. The car was a basket case so I didn't disassemble it. Is anybody familiar with this part? I'd post a pic, but I know just enough about a computer to be dangerous. Thanks Paul
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 12:46:24 AM by Tinkerr »

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: starter soleniod wire protector ????
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 03:28:29 PM »
What year? The '69 assembly manual doesn't show anything like that. To post a picture, click on "Additional Options" just below the window where you compose your post, browse your hard drive to find the image, highlight it and click "open", then click on "upload", then close that window, and when you click on "post", the photo will show up below the text in your post.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 11:35:39 AM »
Sounds like a Pontiac part.  They had those type of wire protectors. Did it have blue paint on it? :)

nuch_ss396

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 02:51:43 AM »
There was one of these on eBay recently that the seller claimed was absolutely original.  I agree with you John, the manual shows nothing like that
on a '69 big block ( or small block for that matter ).  Out of the hundreds of big block cars I've reviewed, I've never seen one.  I don't believe it was
original to the car.

I also figured it was a Pontiaac or Oldsmobile part.  Possibly Firebird.

Steve
69 SS 396, Hugger Orange, D/80, D/90
Chambered Exhaust, N/66, THM400, 3:73 posi

Steve A.
  CRG

Tinkerr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 08:58:08 PM »
The part is the color of fuel/brake lines. It appears to be original, sandy, gritty, consistent with the grime on the rest of the motor. I believe I figured out where it goes finally. It has a tab on one end with a 3/8th hole in it, appears to bolt to the bell housing just behind the starter the other end has a tab with a 5/16th hole that appears to bolt to the outboard solenoid bolt and the solenoid wires run through it to protect from the exhaust. I don't have the trans back from shop, once I do I'll try and get a pic. with it installed. I've never seen one before,may not be right, but I'm using it. The car was a mess when I got it ,but had numerous small original parts that the guy saved and bagged when he was disassembling it,a shame he didn't label them. I buying part's and when they arrive it's so thats what thats for I already have the original. It's a 68!!

Tinkerr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 12:42:24 AM »
I finally got the pictures of the soleniod wire protector tube. Like I said I don't know if it's correct, but I put it on. Maybe it was something the dealer added in its past life.

RickH

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2006, 01:40:35 AM »
That is a Pontiac wire protector.

Rick H.

Tinkerr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 01:50:43 AM »
It sure fits well, I suppose somebody added it early in the life of the car. The dirt and grime on it was consistent with the rest of the car.

Paul

nuch_ss396

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2006, 12:27:34 AM »
Paul,

That is definately not a BBC item.  I believe the starter heat shield acted to shield the starter as well as the wires from the exhaust manifold.
It looks like you did a nice job on the resto, take that item off.  It's not stock.  Find the heat shield and make it correct - IMHO.

BTW, that trans bell housing looks sweet.  Is that painted, or re-skinned?

Steve
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 12:30:19 AM by nuch_ss396 »
69 SS 396, Hugger Orange, D/80, D/90
Chambered Exhaust, N/66, THM400, 3:73 posi

Steve A.
  CRG