Author Topic: Convertible Top Cleaner  (Read 5279 times)

Z10Mike

• View Profile
Convertible Top Cleaner
« on: May 07, 2015, 04:32:54 PM »
Does anyone with a white convertible top know of a cleaner that is effective?   I have a nice top on the car but due to sitting for years in my dad's garage with no cover on it, it looks like the dust dulled and slightly discolored it.  I really don't want to use something like white side wall cleaner on it due to the effect it could have on the material.  I searched the subject here and nothing came up so I started this thread. Thanks for the help.

jeff68

• View Profile
Re: Convertible Top Cleaner
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 04:56:18 PM »
Keeping a white convertible top looking nice is a real PITA.  I would suggest a mild soap and a soft-bristled scrub brush as a starting point.  As you stated, don't use any harsh cleaners or bleach.  Back before I restored my convertible, I tried all sorts of cleaners (including some kitchen abrasive type cleaners, eek) and could never get the top completely clean.  I now have a new top, but know it will slowly get dirty. 

Once you get the top clean, if it is still discolored there may not be much you can do about it, short of using a dye or something like SEM Color Coat.
68 L30/M20 Convertible, Ash Gold
N10, F41, N34, Z21, ZJ9, Z87, D55, G80, P01, U17

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 03:14:56 AM »
Use a good name brand top shampoo, and rinse it well. When you get it clean and dry, use something like clear Armor All "Detailer's Advantage" Protectant (if it's still around) to protect it and keep it soft - this tip was given to me by my top installer a good 15-16 years ago when I had my top installed. Don't apply it directly to the top - apply to a cloth and wipe it in, and don't use too much (a light coat is plenty). It's kept mine looking pretty darn good for all this time -

Regards,
Steve

Here's one, cleaner and protectant together (plus you can get it at a number of local stores, like Wally World):

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g2016-convertible-top-cleaner/
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 12:30:49 PM »
After your initial cleaning (milder the better at the start), use Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on any tough spots. I've got great results with it on dark stains on my wife's 68 white convertible top.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

Z10Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 03:25:08 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I picked up a bottle of the Meguiars cleaner and used it in a couple of spots as a check to satisfy my curiosity .  It appears to do a good job of pulling out the majority of the contaminants when scrubbed with an old piece of terry cloth.   I'll give it a shot in a few days with a soft brush to determine the full effect.  Looks promising so far...