Go to full version

Camaro Research Group Discussion > Originality

What's the correct Alternator bracket for a 69 Z/28

(1/4) > >>

69 Zee:
Hello all,
Thought I try here for an answer to what are the correct Alternator brackets for a 69 Z/28 with the original alternator.  I was given some parts for a 69 Z that I have and I happen to get 2 different front lower Alternator brackets.   They have different bents in them at different locations.  Ones got to be the correct one.  What would the other be for and why.  I have the factory #837 Alternator as well.  Are the brackets different because the alternators are different from one another.. an #837 from a regular Alt ?

Thanks for any help.  

69Z28-RS:
I am certainly not positive about this, but since automatic cars did not require SMOG, and straight shifts did, the different brackets might have been to compensate for the thickness of the smog bracket, that I believe used the same fastener (if present)??   Is this why some cars have to have a 'spacer washer' depending on their configuration??

69 Zee:

--- Quote from: 69Z28-RS on August 22, 2014, 02:23:01 AM ---I am certainly not positive about this, but since automatic cars did not require SMOG, and straight shifts did, the different brackets might have been to compensate for the thickness of the smog bracket, that I believe used the same fastener (if present)??   Is this why some cars have to have a 'spacer washer' depending on their configuration??

--- End quote ---
Hmmm.. good question also.  I was wondering about that spacer also. I have the smog brackets and pump but no spacer.  If I don't find an answer I'll be keeping both brackets and see which one plays out and fits the set up correctly once assembled.

6667ss138:
Darrell, I'll take mine off this weekend and take pictures and post for you to compare.

69 Zee:

--- Quote from: 6667ss138 on August 22, 2014, 03:59:11 AM ---Darrell, I'll take mine off this weekend and take pictures and post for you to compare.

--- End quote ---
Thanks Len,  No rush.  You still running the smog.  Inn wondering if it has anything to do with the smog which I'll be using.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page