Go to full version

Model Specific Discussions > Trans-Am Camaros

Fire Extinguishers

(1/3) > >>

OG69Z:
There are a lot of options out there for an "in car" fire extinguisher. It would be nice to see what some of the cars are currently using and what was used back in the day.

The State's 68 A/S Camaro was equipped with the standard hand held fire extinguisher.

An interesting inspection sticker attached, dated 1973, by the San Francisco Region, SCCA.

Wanting an exceptional fire system in the car, I installed a Halon system. Not vintage, but I feel some exceptions are necessary when it comes to safety. The system has nozzles plumbed to the fuel cell area, under the hood, and of course the passenger compartment. The system is easily activated by hitting the big red button next to the driver.
Robert

1109RWHP:
That is a small bottle for 3 nozzles.

Jon Mello:
Donohue's second '67 Camaro had a Kidde fire extinguisher mount on the rear bulkhead panel. This is the car that raced as #15 at the '68 Sebring race.

Photo from the '68 Riverside program

WildWestRacer:
Donohue's 68 Camaro had similar piece in similar location. It had red body and chrome top. I have not found a mounting bracket for a similar size unit that matches the holes in the back panel. If you know of an original 68 fire extinguisher like this and have an original mounting bracket, I would appreciate a tracing of the hole pattern to see if it matches the panel holes

Tom

OG69Z:
Hello Tom, and welcome to the Forum!

I believe I have an Extinguisher that looks very similar to the one in Jon's photo.  Unfortunately I won't be able to get to it till later this weekend, but I will check it out.
Robert

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page