Author Topic: trashing all interior i guess... what to keep?  (Read 8604 times)

KERR

• View Profile
trashing all interior i guess... what to keep?
« on: July 02, 2014, 02:55:31 PM »
Ive been gone a while.

Quick recap,   got Po-ed about the rust,   put the car in the other garage and forgot about it,   Then base ball rolled around and both kids played,  then both made All stars,  and both made travel ball,  but im pretty sure they are quitting TB...  Long story short its now July and i have looked at the car since November..

Ive given it a lot of thought and im going to just fix it over time...  It was never bought to make money so i guess ill just have a bigger money pit that i what i wanted..    Im going to do it all i guess..  new 1/4,  roof,  fenders, etc... and all the interior..   The car smells like a wet dog, mixed with mold, mixed with BO,  mixed with wet grass...  to the point  my garage stinks and now my corvette stinks..   So all the camaro interior going in the trash.. 

Is there any little things i should save,   so far the only thing that looks reusable is the front two seat frames,  the rear seat frame is a rust bent up mess.   I did keep the door seals plates?  (polished / chrome ) thinks inside the door,  and the seat knobs... 

What else should i keep?

Here is a few picts... 

rear seat.  I guess its cool its original, but man my dog smells better...

back side,  is this worth trying to blast and paint? 

Passenger front seat... is that suppose to be black?

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
Re: trashing all interior i guess... what to keep?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 03:49:06 PM »
No images?  So hard to tell.
I will say keep all the screws, nuts and bolts, fasteners --in other words, hardware. You never know when you'll need it and original is hard to find.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

KERR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 06:47:11 PM »
humm... not sure why they arnt showing.

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 07:30:15 AM »
  Don't trash ANYTHING as of yet. Aftermarket replacement stuff can make you crazy. Things will be missing or not quite right and you'll need an original reference. I recently bought a new set of front seats "complete and ready to install--just bolt them in". The seatback lock on the driver side didn't lock and needed tweaking, and the passenger seat was completely missing the cable that keeps it from hitting the dash and both seats sit about 2" too high. Ditto for door panels. My "exact replacement" high-dollar door panels had incorrect stainless trim that I had to swap from the old panels. The "correct" pillar post molding screws were wrong. The armrests didn't come with the stainless trim pieces. Lakeholme is so right--keep all hardware and I'll expand that to keep it all until you've finished the interior. You just never know.
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 11:11:14 AM »
The backseat frame doesn't look too bad in your picture. Unless it is brittle, it should work fine.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 11:41:14 AM »
  Don't trash ANYTHING as of yet. Aftermarket replacement stuff can make you crazy. Things will be missing or not quite right and you'll need an original reference. I recently bought a new set of front seats "complete and ready to install--just bolt them in". The seatback lock on the driver side didn't lock and needed tweaking, and the passenger seat was completely missing the cable that keeps it from hitting the dash and both seats sit about 2" too high. Ditto for door panels. My "exact replacement" high-dollar door panels had incorrect stainless trim that I had to swap from the old panels. The "correct" pillar post molding screws were wrong. The armrests didn't come with the stainless trim pieces. Lakeholme is so right--keep all hardware and I'll expand that to keep it all until you've finished the interior. You just never know.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 01:14:41 PM »
X4....   :)

You can strip off the cloth/rotten parts, but keep the metal parts of the seats; and that will give you a chance to clean and paint those springs/seat frames so they don't rust any more..  you'll be surprised how good that stuff will look once you do that.   Your upholsterer will thank you for it.. :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

KERR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 01:42:12 PM »
thanks guys, 

I got the rear seats apart last night and the passenger seat..    I just trashed all the leather, foam, and other stuff,  kept all metal parts..  the front seat doesnt frame doesnt look bad at all.   the rear is rusty but i think it is re usable,  i looked at them last night on line $700 bucks for rear seat frame  so ill see if i can clean this one up..   its sturdy, just ugly looking.

Also in the rear i found some tag that was in-between  the "tweed" (looks like old potato bag) and the foam,  or   Its a yellow tag and has had writing on top but its faded out,  the back has numbers,  look like a phone number but no area cod  ill look at lunch  but i think it said  764  XXX  then below that a letter and number  a few times.    bottom of the tag in red says Michigan, and something else..  pretty cool for sure,    under the passenger side seat there was a news paper stuck it in it,  its all faded as well but look old old...

I hope to get the driver side out, and the rest of the carpet next week,  kids have all the friends coming down to the lake for the long weekend..

On a side note,   whats the extra metal stuff on the floor board under the carpet on the body side,   like under the silver plate and beside the seat,   there is two pieces of loose molded metal that runs under the dash and back under the rear seat..  it seems to be bolted under the rear seat.   Just seems odd as there is nothing under it.   The floor is there and looks fine...   It almost looks like a cover plate / skid plate or something,   I just dont remember my 68 having that..  Ill try to get a pict at lunch.

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 03:50:53 AM »
It almost looks like a cover plate / skid plate or something,   I just dont remember my 68 having that..  Ill try to get a pict at lunch.
Sounds like the wiring harness cover plate, is it 2 pieces (per side) of galvanised steel, wide at the rear and narrowing to a point at the kick panel?
Here's a picture:
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

KERR

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 01:24:03 PM »
ZLP 995,   thats it,    i was scared at first when i started taking stuff out.  I my mind i had in-vision of metal that some one cut to cover big holes!   

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 02:38:04 PM »
Late to the party, but ditto, trash nothing. Had some door panels from a 68 SS El Camino redone a few years ago, and they looked like garbage. Hard parts were retained and refurbished, stitching and holes matched.What I picked up from the upholstery shop were wonderful fit and finish, cheaper than repops from the aftermarket suppliers.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

KERR

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 08:35:34 PM »
im trying to keep as much as i can but this stuff has never been out. some of it just falls apart,  like the side panel in the rear where the window rolls down,  and almost anything that had rubber on it or near it is gone.. 

I got the rest of the carpet out last night,  hope to scrape the floors and see what shape they are in,  look like either the carpet has left glue / stained / something on all of it..  almost looks like paint mixed with tar...  i started pealing it late last night,  some of it comes off like dead skin  some one you cant budge...  its like undercoating under the carpet...  the parts that it does just peel off,  its pretty blue color,  sorta of a sky blue..  not ugly smurf that was on the out side...   

anything