CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 30, 2014, 11:09:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
105859 Posts in 12353 Topics by 4762 Members
Latest Member: HarryQ
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Camaro Research Group Discussion
| |-+  Maintenance
| | |-+  Running Hot?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Print
Author Topic: Running Hot?  (Read 1989 times)
JohnZ
CRG Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2014, 10:20:58 AM »

My only reason for leaving the tubes in place is the 30 degree countersink under the tube - the tube seat seals that, then the flat nail head seals the top of the tube.

That's why I use the #10 x 1/2" flat head machine screws - they have a flat top, and a 30-degree taper on the bottom that matches the countersink in the manifold that would normally be sealed by the tube nut.

'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG
Vince

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2014, 05:34:56 PM »

I wanted to thank all you guys once again for your responses and help.  I am taking things one step at a time.  I think it has been narrowed down to a fuel percolation problem with excessive heat being produced from the exhaust manifolds due to the AIR pump pumping air all the time, due to a broken diaphragm in the diverter valve, plus a vacuum leak from the same cause.  The cooling system checks out fine.  The timing checks out fine.  I'm still looking for a racing gas distributor in my local area. 
What do you guys think about Joe Gibbs Driven Carb Defender Fuel Additive, for counteracting the ethanol in gas, possible help or waste of money?
Vince

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2014, 06:32:25 PM »

I finally got the AIR system inactivated.  Checked for a vacuum leak around the carb and couldn't find any.  Car seems to hold an idle now without slowly going down and dying.  One thing I have noticed since I have been doing a lot of work with the air cleaner off is that after the car has idled awhile, though still not anywhere near hot, after I shut the engine off a vapor or mist almost as thick as smoke comes out of the carb throat.  The carb is still cold to the touch when this occurs.  What is causing this? 
JohnZ
CRG Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2014, 09:15:56 AM »

I finally got the AIR system inactivated.  Checked for a vacuum leak around the carb and couldn't find any.  Car seems to hold an idle now without slowly going down and dying.  One thing I have noticed since I have been doing a lot of work with the air cleaner off is that after the car has idled awhile, though still not anywhere near hot, after I shut the engine off a vapor or mist almost as thick as smoke comes out of the carb throat.  The carb is still cold to the touch when this occurs.  What is causing this? 

Crankcase vapors - if you had the air cleaner and PCV hoses connected, you wouldn't see it.

'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG
Vince

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2014, 12:57:03 PM »

Thank you John.  Glad to hear it is something as simple as you described.   
BULLITT65

BULLITT65
View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2014, 03:56:08 PM »

Crankcase vapors - if you had the air cleaner and PCV hoses connected, you wouldn't see it.
shoot, you close the hood and you won't see it.... Cheesy

1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear) please
Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: