Author Topic: My New '68 Camaro Z/28 Butternut Yellow  (Read 369006 times)

dannystarr

• View Profile
Re: My New '68 Camaro Z/28 Butternut Yellow
« Reply #540 on: September 29, 2014, 12:21:32 AM »
Got it all ready. Unplugged the coil wire for 3 - 30 second crank overs. Plugged the wire in and fired it up. NO CHANGE... RUNS EXACTLY LIKE CRAP LIKE IT DID BEFORE I STARTED??  :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

I set the timing with vac. advance hose pulled and plugged, set dwell, timed it, and set the idle at 850 to 950. Tried adjusting the fuel/air mixture and it was better it seemed, but not right and still raced up the idle with screws all the way in. Tried giving it some gas and it goes up to around 2500 and starts shaking violently just like before. I don't know what the hell. I can't spend anymore time on it. Gotta walk away. WAY TOO many personal and work projects have been neglected for this car. Oh well guys, no ride for me. I tried... D

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #541 on: September 29, 2014, 12:18:41 PM »
I think if you could borrow a known working carb from someone that would be my next try. Some carb rebuilders use test motors to check their builds before sending to you. We have used a couple here on the east coast and when it comes back they say only adjust the idle and that is all it took.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #542 on: September 29, 2014, 02:21:51 PM »
I thought about that. I don't have anybody. My buddy with the 69 Z/28, his carb has been sitting for 6 years! I don't wanna get into that. You got one to send me that you know is ok? Anybody have one they can send me for a try? Then at least I know where I am at. It would only take a few days turn around. Then if it works I am all set, and I will shoot it right back. It really is the easiest thing to try next. I pay S/H/I both ways of course, and insure it for $2,500. And any rental fee's...I can't put ALOT more time in this, but a carb would literally be just a few minutes.... Danny
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 02:44:15 PM by dannystarr »

hubleyman

• View Profile
« Reply #543 on: September 29, 2014, 03:51:08 PM »
How about I jump in on this bandwagon.....

I believe you live in Sonoma?  I live in Petaluma and work in Napa so I pass your way twice a day.  I would be happy to pull the carb off my '69 Z/28 (which runs superb) and bring it over to your place for a quick experiment.  It's an OEM Holley replacement carb that worked absolutely perfect right out of the box.

Any day after work is fine with me - I typically get off at 3PM.  FYI - Won't be available this Friday or the weekend since I'll be pit crewing at the Vintage races at Sears Point.

Let me know if I can be of help....  Charlie

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: September 29, 2014, 08:26:40 PM »

I believe you live in Sonoma?  I live in Petaluma and work in Napa so I pass your way twice a day.  I would be happy to pull the carb off my '69 Z/28 (which runs superb) and bring it over to your place for a quick experiment.  It's an OEM Holley replacement carb that worked absolutely perfect right out of the box.

Any day after work is fine with me - I typically get off at 3PM.  FYI - Won't be available this Friday or the weekend since I'll be pit crewing at the Vintage races at Sears Point.

We have a great bunch of guys, don't we? That is what makes us special, here. We really have a desire to see us all exceed and get our cars done. I am proud to be affiliated with such a great group. God bless! ...and a personal thanks Charlie on behalf of all and good luck at the races. B.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #545 on: September 30, 2014, 01:16:57 AM »
Charlie, you are awesome! I just worked 11.5 hours out in Valley Ford and stopped at my girlfriends to get a water on the way home. Thought I would check in on my guys at CRG, and low and behold there is help on the way. I read your post and my nose started to burn a little and my eyes started to well up a little. Anticipation of us doing this carb swap/check has got me excited to say the least. This really is a hell of a group of guys. You guys checked on me with concern when I was going through treatment more than my 30 and 40 year friends!! Anyway, thanx everyone... And sorry if I have made any of you frustrated with my lack of knowledge. I can tell ya this, I am getting pretty darn good at it. I had no help at all, and was kinda proud of myself doing that intake R&R.

Charlie, I will send ya a message with my contact info. .... Danny

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #546 on: September 30, 2014, 02:24:06 AM »

Great gesture!!

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #547 on: October 01, 2014, 04:41:53 AM »
Charlie is stopping by tom. mid afternoon and we are going to do some diagnostic work. THEN we can start swapping parts if need be. Getting excited again.

Question, you all have seen my car top to bottom, front to back... Are my spoilers factory? When I turn the key the lid pops up, and most of the time goes ALL the way up. I have had other cars that when you turn the key, the trunk lid just stays closed. If it IS factory, what is the code for that? Shouldn't it be on my POP, or warranty booklet? The Rally stripes stop at spoiler bottom, and are NOT painted on trunk lid... Danny

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: October 01, 2014, 04:46:01 AM »
Are the trunk torsion rods the same diameter?
Kurt S
CRG

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #549 on: October 01, 2014, 04:58:58 AM »
I was just remembering that Kurt. I looked and they both look the same to me. I will mic them to be sure, but they look the same to me by just bending down and looking in. And shouldn't the spoiler be the short version? Up until march of '69 I thought ALL spoilers were short. There is also the FRONT spoiler. Could they both have been added at a dealer, D80? Paint is masked around the emblem. Danny

x66 714

• View Profile
« Reply #550 on: October 01, 2014, 11:03:18 AM »
Painted around the emblem is good. Most people don't put the emblem back on. Mine has factory spoilers & when you pop the lid, it floats about 4 to 6". The rods on mine are 2 different sizes. The front spoiler was part of the package. There should be screw holes in the valance.
1969 with a short spoiler mean it has a 1968 spoiler on it or it's about 2" narrower that the back of the car....Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

JohnKY

• View Profile
« Reply #551 on: October 02, 2014, 12:09:00 AM »
Have you checked that the heat riser valve is working? If the car has been sitting for a few years, the valve could have rusted shut, and not be opening when it's supposed to. Probably wouldn't cause idle troubles, but could affect higher rpm performance.

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #552 on: October 02, 2014, 02:21:09 AM »
I was just remembering that Kurt. I looked and they both look the same to me. I will mic them to be sure, but they look the same to me by just bending down and looking in. And shouldn't the spoiler be the short version? Up until march of '69 I thought ALL spoilers were short. There is also the FRONT spoiler. Could they both have been added at a dealer, D80? Paint is masked around the emblem. Danny
Danny, spoiler car had two different size torsion rods and non-spoiler cars had the same diameter. What is interesting is normally the cars that the lid just sits there when you turn the key with a spoiler clearly indicates the car has the same size rods and was not originally equipped with a spoiler. But yours pops right up! They are somewhat similar but are different in size. Check them rascals to know for sure. Hope the carb swap with Charlie gives some clues to the issue.....
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #553 on: October 02, 2014, 06:02:37 AM »
Hey guys, first off the torsion bars for the trunk lid are 2 different sizes. Charlie and I checked today. The one with the rubber booty is for sure bigger in diameter. Also Charlie noted there was NO wear marks at the primary holes for the emblem mounting. Perfect paint, no nut marks etc. around those punched holes. All this along with the stripes paint add up to a D80 option Baby! So, cool, I have a couple factory spoilers. Yea  ;D ;D

Heat riser is free and rocking back and forth during use.  

Moving on to more important things... We did some checking on wiring and things. Front harness has been messed with. Wires cut, spliced... Going to have to replace the front harness. Resistor wire gone, hence that porcelain ballast resistor. We bypassed ignition main wiring and a couple others. Carb swap is happening middle of next week. Just narrowing as we go. There was talk of a possible flat cam lobe, but we have other things to check first. I am being patient and greatly appreciating Charlie's knowledge, and sharing it along with his time.

Chick, I will check what you asked ASAI can ....Danny  

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #554 on: October 02, 2014, 02:44:20 PM »
I was sleepy last night, but I meant ceramic resistor. So I need to replace the front harness with hopefully an NOS one, or if I have to, aftermarket.... D

anything