Author Topic: My New '68 Camaro Z/28 Butternut Yellow  (Read 368990 times)

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Re: My New '68 Camaro Z/28 Butternut Yellow
« Reply #405 on: September 05, 2014, 12:49:29 PM »
Jano is right; with the spring pressures on the cam, it might be difficult to turn the cam the way you need to.

1)  Turn the crank until the crank gear dot is 'straight up'..  that looks good in your photo.
2)  Put the cam into position, dots aligned.. install the chain on the gears (don't worry about the cam bolts at this point).
3)  Turn the cam until it aligns on the pin, and install the bolts.

For step 3, if the gear dots are aligned but the bolts/holes in the cam/gear are not, then the cam needs to turn, not the gear. 

If you can't turn the cam easily, then do what Jano has suggested, which means you will need to check/adjust the valves after (which is a good thing to do anyway since you don't really know they are properly adjusted already)..
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: September 05, 2014, 01:32:44 PM »
Should be no strain. With plugs out ,crank will rotate easy. With rockers off ,cam just riding in the bearings....no spring pressure, no chance of valve interference with pistons. Crank could go slightly CCW,  a few degrees , could just be the pic. Cam rotates to line up with crank when piston is at it's highest point in the cylinder. For your application. Crank gear timing mark should be exactly at 12:00. With chain off, bolt your timing gear on and align marks crank@12;00,cam@6:00. Unbolt cam gear ,should only have been finger tight. Assemble chain per instructions. Be patient ,may take a few tries for proper alignment. Kolektor is correct. Even with cam bolts installed. Final assembly, bolts should receive a little Permatex blue locktite.

Now would also be a good time to check your pushrods---one at a time as used valve train MUST be kept in order as disassembled.

I would do initial valve adjustment prior to installation of distributor, with timing cover off. Check for valve closure and piston interference. Should be ok, none the less we check anyway.

With valves adjusted (plenty in the forums on this ,cold setting) Rotate your engine back to crank@12:00 , cam@12:00 ,#1 piston will be at TDC...install your distributor. Rotor to #1 tower position. Lock it down for now.

Button the rest of this project up. Cold set the timing, check for potential vacuum leaks. Set, than 1.5 turns out on you mixture screws. Fire it up, check timing. Run through the valves again, fine tune the carb.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: September 05, 2014, 01:34:53 PM »
You win again Gary...between you and Cook... ;D  nuff said ,I got work to do.

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: September 06, 2014, 06:17:31 AM »
Well after about 25 attempts of moving the cam slightly CW and CCW the new timing chain assembly is installed. Pretty tight tolerance getting all 3 bolts in. Cleaned bolts with carb cleaner and dried. Put two drops of blue loc on each thread and installed them and torqued them down.

NOW the bad news... while checking all the pushrods, one of the lifters got slightly stuck with oil to the bottom of the pushrod and pulled the lifter out and dropped it in the galley. Nobody mentioned twisting while pulling and make sure to pull slow, or is it fast? I can see thru the little rectangular holes in the head, next to the pushrod holes, the lifter laying on it's side. I am done, I closed it all up and put everything away. I have to walk away from it... Danny

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: September 06, 2014, 02:14:00 PM »
If you get a small telescopic magnet you might luck up and get it in. But with all you have done pulling the intake is not that big of a deal. While it is off I like adjusting the valve lash when you can see the cam. You can also look at the lifters bottoms and check for wear. Might be an inspection that could save on bigger problems later and since you are dating all parts you can check the intake date. It is on the bottom under the oil shield.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: September 10, 2014, 11:08:03 PM »
I decided to get back into the car. I took 2 telescopic magnets and stuck them down through the site holes in the head. Started dragging it towards the hole, when low and behold it stood right up next to the hole. I sucked out the right side magnet and grabbed a long Phillips screwdriver, pushed it and dropped it right back in the hole. The whole project took about 30 seconds!. Ya gotta love it.

So timing chain is on and lined up nice... rotated the crank to get the 12 O'clock 12 O'clock line up... dropped in the distributor with the rotor shooting at number one. It's actually kinda in between number one and number three. Hope that's right. Had the new seal pressed in the cover, and RTV'd down the gasket. Used my girlfriends bra strap {her idea} to hold the lower timing cover rubber in over night with RTV. Stuck a couple shorty screwdrivers in the holes to keep it stretched outward. {See Pictures} Pulled it off the next day and it was perfect. Didn't wanna loosen the pan bolts... So I got one end in, then stuck a Phillips screwdriver in the other end and right into a block threaded hole... Pushed down like hell and in, and it went... Taped on the bottom half with the rubber mallet.... Installed the bolts and made it up... Installed the timing tape on the balancer.... Cleaned a couple baby burr's off the Original woodruff key and balancer keyway.... Put a little assembly lube on the outside of the hub... a little in the keyway... assembled the balancer installer tool and pressed it on.... Installed the lower pulley with smaller bolts.... put two drops of blue loc on the large bolt and cranked it in and torqued it down... Installed the new matching water pump and original bypass hose with correct clamps. Installed the alternator and wired it up....Installed upper and lower rad hoses...

This baby is starting to look like an engine again. Just need to button up a couple things like valve covers, Sparkplugs and wires, anti-freeze, air cleaner and she is ready to fire... Hopefully this weekend I will be driving Raquel. My GF named her... Danny
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 11:30:01 PM by dannystarr »

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: September 10, 2014, 11:15:31 PM »
Pic's of progress... Lower pulley bolts

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: September 10, 2014, 11:17:17 PM »
Main Crank bolt and washers

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: September 10, 2014, 11:18:55 PM »
Large thick Crank Washer/Spacer

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: September 10, 2014, 11:40:01 PM »
Bra strap holder... All Rockers have the "O" and in great shape... Pushrods all in great shape...

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: September 10, 2014, 11:45:14 PM »
more strap, and rocker assembly

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: September 10, 2014, 11:46:14 PM »
Rocker

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: September 10, 2014, 11:47:30 PM »
Pushrods also in nice shape

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: September 10, 2014, 11:47:57 PM »
Ha, wonderful !!

dannystarr

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: September 10, 2014, 11:49:09 PM »
Tops of all valves nice shape..  Sure can tell a 55,000 mile car that hasn't been beat...

anything