Author Topic: Front Hub Grease Caps  (Read 11889 times)

OG69Z

• View Profile
Front Hub Grease Caps
« on: July 14, 2014, 02:48:16 PM »
On the former State's A/S 68 Z/28, the front hubs were equipped with these grease caps:

They appear to function as a means to form a continuous conductor between the hub and spindle. I seem to recall some sales hype about static electricity back in the late 60's, early 70's. Maybe I'm on the wrong track here, but what is the point of using these? The car was set up very professionally for a privateer, and even had bearing spacers in the front. For this reason, I'm hesitant to discount their usefulness. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Robert

Steve68

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Front Hub Grease Caps
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 07:48:01 PM »
Radio noise suppression.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 09:31:34 PM »
Radio noise suppression.

That's correct, and these appear to be replacements. The original GM caps have a raised bump in the center that these are lacking.
Jon Mello
CRG

OG69Z

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 04:11:08 AM »
Thanks Steve and Jon. One more piece of the puzzle solved!
Robert

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 04:47:27 AM »
You're welcome, Robert. That Tom States car looks pretty immaculate.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 08:39:09 PM »
The car was set up very professionally for a privateer, and even had bearing spacers in the front. For this reason, I'm hesitant to discount their usefulness. Any ideas?

This info is from Robert Lodewyk (sixteengrandsedan#56)...
"The car has rear brake rotors mounted on the front. The offset is slightly different, about 1/16" or more to the inside.
If you put the rears on the front, the rotor surface is closer to that large bolt on the top of the spindle that mounts the
caliper bracket. My #56 had a rear on the front with a spacer between the hub surface and the inside of the rotor."
Jon Mello
CRG

satman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 12:18:06 AM »
If my memory serves me correctly from my dealership days the brass inserts were installed on radio equipped cars to prevent interference from static electricity....... Back in the day many radios were installed by the dealership and I seem to remember the inserts being part of the radio package.

AL

OG69Z

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 04:12:38 AM »
You're welcome, Robert. That Tom States car looks pretty immaculate.

Thanks Jon. It's a lot of hard work, but I'm enjoying every minute of it!

OG69Z

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 04:27:40 AM »
The car was set up very professionally for a privateer, and even had bearing spacers in the front. For this reason, I'm hesitant to discount their usefulness. Any ideas?

This info is from Robert Lodewyk (sixteengrandsedan#56)...
"The car has rear brake rotors mounted on the front. The offset is slightly different, about 1/16" or more to the inside.
If you put the rears on the front, the rotor surface is closer to that large bolt on the top of the spindle that mounts the
caliper bracket. My #56 had a rear on the front with a spacer between the hub surface and the inside of the rotor."

Robert L. is correct about the different offsets. The dimensions on this car works out fine due to the thickness of the caliper bracket and the use of high strength flat head socket screws.

Robert L., good eye, and thanks for the input!

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 06:23:17 PM »
Robert, that's a pretty beefy looking caliper bracket. Nicely done. Thanks for the "exploded view" of things.
Jon Mello
CRG

cuda48

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 07:06:33 PM »
What is the knurled part on the spindle (with set screw?) just this side of the Inner wheel bearing?  A spacer?

Mike

OG69Z

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 01:51:57 AM »
Hi Mike,
    Those pieces compose the adjustable bearing spacer. They allow the bearings to be fully snugged up, but yet have minimal preload, thus drag. In other words, less friction. You can actually feel the difference pushing the car back and forth in the shop.

As the bearings are still side loaded in the corners, the benefits likely are mostly in the straights. I suspect they add some minimal stiffening to the spindles as well. The bottom line is they free up some horsepower which should help in the acceleration. They definitely reduce the bearing temperatures. Taking into account the small bearings we have on the early Camaros, it all helps.
Robert

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2014, 03:56:30 AM »
Radio noise suppression.

That's correct, and these appear to be replacements. The original GM caps have a raised bump in the center that these are lacking.

This evening my wife and I were refinishing some patio furniture and as I was looking at the car on the lift, thought of this thread??
Both my grease caps have raised centers, inside driver's side has the "mechanism" but broke? Grease clean, bearings good...passenger side " mechanism "appears as new. Car came with AM radio.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 03:14:59 AM »
Those radio static suppressors are on ebay regularly.